• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking to build cheap systems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4everlurkn

Registered
Want to build 2 systems one integrated mobo system and one OC System. Looking to run duron in integrated system... Looking to spend as little as possible on integrated system no more than $ 250. On the OC willing to spend more..

Current system kt7a duron [email protected] 933 @ 23c @ 27c load

David

Forums Super Moderator
Hi, and welcome to the Forums. For an integrated Duron system the KM133 chipset is probably what you are looking for, something like the Epox EP-8KLM2. That has on board sound and video and supports SDR RAM and 266MHz Bus CPUs.

For overclocking try an XP1600+ or XP1700+ and an Epox 8KHA+, and PC2400 or PC2700 DDR RAM.

druidelder

for your cheap system, what do you want to get with 250? Will you need another monitor, hdd, floppy, etc...? If so, I hate to say it, but if your willing to do rebates you can sometimes find e-machines for around that price that come with everything. (Their really not that bad if you don't ever plan on doing anything with it besides run programs.) If you don't need all that, you might look into ECS boards. They've been getting better and better reviews. They have some decent integrated boards (usually only have 2 pci + agp, but some have onboard lan,video,sound) They're very inexpensive boards. Those are the boards I'm lookinng at for a cheap cluster.

OP

4everlurkn

Registered
Ill clarify looking for cheap mobo for duron system with video/sound and possibly modem on mainboard only needs to support sdram 100/133 athlon up to ~ 1.4.... thanks

stool

First thing to do is go to Pricewatch and get a good idea of what is available for what you want to do. If you look at the mobo/CPU combos you can probably find just what you are looking for, at the price you want to pay. As far as integrated boards, just stay away from Amptron. I've heard lots of bad things about them.

ShiFtY2001

Registered
Don't know exactly what you want to do with this, but keep in mind that integrated boards are slower, less stable and lower quality than systems you build yourself. Also if you want to upgrade it is a lot harder. I was going to use one for a server but got scared off by horror stories. my 0.02 would be... avoid