• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking to buy a p4 system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ib69nu

i tell you what, when the first pentium 4's came out, i told myself along with everyone who cared, that i was never gonna own a pentium 4 system. of course, that was back when 1ghz was friggin awesome to me. now i have two systems running WAY beyond that, but back on topic. I am looking into buying a pentium four system. money is an issue. right now i am just looking for a good cpu and mobo. I have enough knowledge to figure the memory out. as you can tell, i am an AMD kinda person (good prices if you ask me). but anyways i am looking for a DDR board and a socket 478 (hopefully that is right) CPU. not looking to spend more than $300 on the combo. overclocking is a must.

thanks you intel guys

imgod2u

The 1.8a P4's is always a good thing. Although I think Intel may have discontinued it. Basically any P4 in the lower regions of of 2.0 or 2.2ish GHz with a 100MHz quad-pumped FSB should be great for overclocking and should be no more than $130. As for DDR motherboard, I would suggest either the Asus P4PE (based on the i845pe chipset) or Gigabyte's i845pe board (which I don't not know the model number off hand but you can find out at Gigabyte's website). They woudl overclock jsut fine with stock cooling but if you want to put more expensive cooling on it, it would help a lot I think. Either way, I'd say you should expect 2.6-2.8ish GHz on air for a B0 stepping and probably 3 GHz on air with the C1 stepping.

micamica1217

Hi,

I too came from building a lot of amd so I understand you right from the start.

how about the 1.8a and the p4pe from asus.

about $140 for the cpu and $125-$145 for the mobo, wether you want SATA or not.

this combo with xms3200c2 and the 3/4 mem divider will kick ***.

the 1.8a should run at 2.8ghz or better max OC.

just a few tips from a guy how runs his first P4 rig....

don't go past 1.75v core voltage
cpu temps should be less then 50c lode for long life
get a after market HS like alpha pal, swifty 4000, or ax-478 and a quiet fan like sunon, panaflow ........you don't need thoughs screaming deltas with this cpu.:p

good luck

mica

OP
ib69nu

ib69nu

what is the difference between the 1.8 and the 1.8a. i know that the 2.4 and the 2.4b the difference is 33 mhz on the fsb, but the 1.8's are both rated at 400mhz fsb.

btw my main rig is super quiet, while my secondary rig is loud as hell.

hc1001

the 1.8 might be the older willamente versions of the P4. u want the northwood p4 1.8a. go to newegg or googlegear. i perfer googlegear so u can get 2nd day shipping for $50. goodluck!

OP
ib69nu

ib69nu

i just saw that the difference is the l2 cache the a's have 512, while their predecessors have 256. me likey the 512, but me no likey the money involved in a p4 system

oops

It's not just the L2 cache. 1.8A Northwood oc like crazy, mine does 2.6GHZ stable without extra cooling or vmod. 1.8 willamente will have trouble to reach 2GHZ.

By the way, the mobo I use with 1.8A is Abit BD7II-raid. And RAM is Corsair DDR PC3200.

micamica1217

oops said:
It's not just the L2 cache. 1.8A Northwood oc like crazy, mine does 2.6GHZ stable without extra cooling or vmod. 1.8 willamente will have trouble to reach 2GHZ.

By the way, the mobo I use with 1.8A is Abit BD7II-raid. And RAM is Corsair DDR PC3200.

yea the 1.8a should do at least 2.4ghz with out any extra vcore...

yet once you start to go past this an AMD system just can't keep up.

plus you have agp/pci lock on both the bd7II and the p4pe...so your parts wont hold you back.:D

also the 1.8a is only $140 with free fedex super saver at newegg.com

this system will fly, at 2.7-2.9ghz.:eek:

mica