• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to OverClock my AMD Athlon II x4 630

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Uncensored

Registered
Im new to overclocking, but i'm not uneducated per say.

Ive been doing my research and a little bit of tuning as of now, but I would like "Professional" input on what I can do better and change.

My Current Computer Set-up is as follows.
Motherboard - Asus M5A97 R2.0
Cpu - Athlon II x4 630
PSU - Corsair CX750M
GPU - Radeon HD6970
Cpu Cooler - Corsair H60 with Duel Corsair 120mm Fans (Push/Pull)

Here are my Pictures of my numbers right now.

CpuMain.PNG
cpumemory.PNG
cpuspd.PNG

At this current setup this is my temps after 30 mins of running prime95
cputemp.PNG

I was also wondering if there is anyway using my Asus board if I can get into the regular "Blue Screen Bios" all i can seem to load up is the Asus bio menu, kind of dont really like it too much.

Im here for advice on anything that can help me get more out of this.

Thank You,
Uncensored

Last edited:
Are you using mix ram? If so pull out two sticks and overclock that way. CPU-z shows 10 gigs, I find it odd.

Asus bios, hit delete button. Motherboard manual should show you which bios you are entering.

Are you using mix ram? If so pull out two sticks and overclock that way. CPU-z shows 10 gigs, I find it odd.

Asus bios, hit delete button. Motherboard manual should show you which bios you are entering.

I am running mixed Ram, Question, If i take out the 3 off brand sticks and just run the 4GB stick to OC, Will I be able to put the other sticks back in at a later date?

I am running mixed Ram, Question, If i take out the 3 off brand sticks and just run the 4GB stick to OC, Will I be able to put the other sticks back in at a later date?
Not advisable.
That CPU has a locked multi. You'll be bus overclocking which will affect ram. Mismatched sticks will compound the problem.

Not advisable.
That CPU has a locked multi. You'll be bus overclocking which will affect ram. Mismatched sticks will compound the problem.

Okay. So basically just buy some need Ram, Got you!

Will It be noticeable when I pull those 3 sticks out?

Or will overclocking make up for that?

If you overclock with one stick, you will get more mhz from the cpu no doubt. The draw back is it will run in single channel.

You want 2 4GB sticks or 2 2GB sticks and it'll go in dual channel and overclock without issues until you hit your maximum on the Cpu.

You loose performance in single channel mode.

Don't forget to lower HT multiplier and NB multiplier the higher you take the reference clock up.

I think 3.6ghz is a good Cpu speed goal.

Okay. So basically just buy some need Ram, Got you!

Will It be noticeable when I pull those 3 sticks out?

Or will overclocking make up for that?

You don't necessarily need to buy new RAM you just need to lower the starting frequency of the RAM so that as you jack the bus frequency up in the overclocking process you make some headroom for the RAM frequency. The bus frequency affects not only the core speed of the CPU but also the RAM frequency. It also affects the HT Link frequency and the CPU/NB frequency. As you increase the bus frequency you will need to make adjustments to these other frequencies as well to keep things stable as they may get too high otherwise.

The integrated memory controller on the Propus core CPUs is not strong so you should start your RAM frequency at 1066 and work towards 1333 as you increase the bus frequency.

And yes, get rid of the mismatched RAM components and only use the ones that match, if that applies. If they are all mismatched then buy new RAM.

That CPU of yours should top out around 3.5-3.7 ghz when it's fully overclocked. But you will need to get up to 4.9-5.0 core voltage to get there along with the other frequency manipulations I mentioned above.

Last edited:
You don't necessarily need to buy new RAM you just need to lower the starting frequency of the RAM so that as you jack the bus frequency up in the overclocking process you make some headroom for the RAM frequency. The bus frequency affects not only the core speed of the CPU but also the RAM frequency. It also affects the HT Link frequency and the CPU/NB frequency. As you increase the bus frequency you will need to make adjustments to these other frequencies as well to keep things stable as they may get too high otherwise.

The integrated memory controller on the Propus core CPUs is not strong so you should start your RAM frequency at 1066 and work towards 1333 as you increase the bus frequency.

And yes, get rid of the mismatched RAM components and only use the ones that match, if that applies. If they are all mismatched then buy new RAM.

That CPU of yours should top out around 3.5-3.7 ghz when it's fully overclocked. But you will need to get up to 4.9-5.0 core voltage to get there along with the other frequency manipulations I mentioned above.

Yea, I read about the Reference clock changing everything as I increase it, I have been documenting all my numbers as I raise it so I know when to lower it, My Question is am I suppose to keep my HT Link and Ram Freq as close to stock as possible?

My goal is to hit 3.6ghz with this and call it a day. 3.3 is the highest I have ever hard this and I know I have room to go higher, so I don't feel 3.6 is out of the question by any means.

I have 3 sticks of 2gb RAM i can put in, all the same brand and kind. But I read somewhere that its better just to run 2 or 4 sticks instead of 3? Can you correct me on this statement?

The ram is better in matching pairs for dual channel. Yes keep the ram around 1333 ish and HT under 2000 while you OC the HTT and you should be OK there. Keep the NB frequency in that area as well for now. We can fix it and the ram speed later.

The ram is better in matching pairs for dual channel. Yes keep the ram around 1333 ish and HT under 2000 while you OC the HTT and you should be OK there. Keep the NB frequency in that area as well for now. We can fix it and the ram speed later.

Okay, I'm looking into a pair of Corsair Vengance 2 x 4GB sticks
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

If I overclock now with my current RAM I wont have to overclock again if I get those correct?

I think you'll be surprised at how easily it will be over 4 gig. My 640 does 4.7 on water.

Really? That's amazing for a CPU that runs 3.0 ghz stock. But OP isn't using water either.

My X4 630 would only do about 3.7-3.8 on decent air and reasonable core voltage. You must have gotten a cherry, Mr. Scott.

Really? That's amazing for a CPU that runs 3.0 ghz stock. But OP isn't using water either.

My X4 630 would only do about 3.7-3.8 on decent air and reasonable core voltage. You must have gotten a cherry, Mr. Scott.

Yea i'm going to shoot for 3.6 to start and go from there! There is so much helpful people on this site :).

My biggest pain right now is the asus bios menu...I just want to be able to get the blue screen bios like everyone else and i dont know how. All i get is the asus screen with a mouse and all that asus **** :(

That's just the new UEFI bios. You're stuck with it. You can use mostly keyboard. I do all the time. As for the OC and new ram, you may have to make some adjustment but the basic OC should still be close.

That's just the new UEFI bios. You're stuck with it. You can use mostly keyboard. I do all the time. As for the OC and new ram, you may have to make some adjustment but the basic OC should still be close.

Okay. I didnt know if there was a way to get around the UEFI Bios, But Ill stick with it because I have too lol.

Thats good to know about the ram.

When I get home i'm going to post current numbers as of my most recent overclock and then I will see what I need to adjust!

EUFI bioses do take some getting used to. Are you saying you have no mouse function when in bios when you speak of the "Asus Mouse" and are unable to navigate?

EUFI bioses do take some getting used to. Are you saying you have no mouse function when in bios when you speak of the "Asus Mouse" and are unable to navigate?

Lol. No! My Asus Bios works perfectly fine haha. I just see pictures of the "Blue Screen Bios" Like old school, and thats all I was wondering was if I had a way that mine could look like that instead of the Asus Bios menu. But not a big deal! I will learn to use it for sure!

There is a basic screen and I think that is what is presented by default. But there is also an advanced level you can toggle to which gives you many more options.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, I'm looking into a pair of Corsair Vengance 2 x 4GB sticks
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

If I overclock now with my current RAM I wont have to overclock again if I get those correct?

If you change the RAM you would want to redo the overclock because the new RAM may have different timings. And it may automatically reset the bios to default anyway. Best to start over. But you can record the frequencies of the CPU components such as bus frequency, HT Link and CPU/NB frequencies and their voltages before you make the change for referral.

There is a basic screen and I think that is what is presented by default. But there is also an advanced level you can toggle to which gives you many more options.

- - - Updated - - -

If you change the RAM you would want to redo the overclock because the new RAM may have different timings. And it may automatically reset the bios to default anyway. Best to start over. But you can record the frequencies of the CPU components such as bus frequency, HT Link and CPU/NB frequencies and their voltages before you make the change for referral.

Yea I have been using the Advanced level to do all my OC right now.

Okay! about the ram, Im going to see what I can get out of my current setup and like I said Ive been keeping a handwritten log of all my numbers and temps as I OC so when I reach my goal ill just keep that log and wait till I get the new ram!

Back