• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to start my very first OC with my i7 5930K.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Heroic_Void

Registered
My component list is in my sig (if you click the spoiler).

So yeah it's my first ever time attempting to do an overclock and I thought I wasn't about to try doing it myself because I know I would do something silly and end up breaking my computer. So on the advice of the user Johan45 I have come here for some help with this. I know there is guides floating about but I thought I'd ask for some help anyway since Johan recommended it.

Kind Regards

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
We will appreciate it if you put your main system components in your sig. The place I have all the links under this post. Then I would go into the bios and set a manual voltage of say 1.25v for the core and start raising the multiplier starting at 40. If it boots shut down and raise it again until it won't boot. back it down 2 multipliers and try a stability test like AIDA64. I realize you will be doing video editing so in my opinion AIDA64 won't be enough but it's a good place to start.

OP
Heroic_Void

Heroic_Void

Registered
We will appreciate it if you put your main system components in your sig. The place I have all the links under this post. Then I would go into the bios and set a manual voltage of say 1.25v for the core and start raising the multiplier starting at 40. If it boots shut down and raise it again until it won't boot. back it down 2 multipliers and try a stability test like AIDA64. I realize you will be doing video editing so in my opinion AIDA64 won't be enough but it's a good place to start.

Okay I'll check your sig links and start on that manual voltage.

My components are in my sig if you click the spoiler. I didn't think the text would fit otherwise.

Here it is anyways.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz cooled by a Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM
Motherboard: Asus X99-A ATX LGA2011-3
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-2400MHz
Storage 1: Crucial MX100 256GB SSD
Storage 2: Intel 750 Series 400GB PCI-E SSD
Storage 3: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB HDD
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB TWIN FROZR
Case: Corsair Vengeance C70
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+

Johan45

Sorry I didn't bother to look there ha ha. Short on time I'm in training today

Bishoff

These chips are stupid easy to crank up. Starting out, don't mess with memory or anything else. set your vid manually to 1.28 and multi @ 44 so your target is 4400. Mine does this all day & is super stable. Once YOU determine you're stable, you can start taking down the VID and test for stability. Keep a close eye on temps. I'm on an oversize custom loop where my temps barely hit 50C under full load, but yours will probably be much higher.

OP
Heroic_Void

Heroic_Void

Registered
These chips are stupid easy to crank up. Starting out, don't mess with memory or anything else. set your vid manually to 1.28 and multi @ 44 so your target is 4400. Mine does this all day & is super stable. Once YOU determine you're stable, you can start taking down the VID and test for stability. Keep a close eye on temps. I'm on an oversize custom loop where my temps barely hit 50C under full load, but yours will probably be much higher.

What exactly are the names of these setting you talk about? I guess the "vid" as you called is to do with the CPU core Voltage. But I'm not sure about what the multiplier is. Here are some images from my BIOS.

mAAOVW9.jpg

6pXHl5p.jpg

Thanks.

OP
Heroic_Void

Heroic_Void

Registered
Just to quickly ask when I'm setting the VID should I set it as 1.28 or 1.280?

Bishoff

Just to quickly ask when I'm setting the VID should I set it as 1.28 or 1.280?

They're one in the same :) The bios will probably add the 3 dec point as "0"

I'm using the adapative voltage, but that is something to turn on after he determines he's stable at X VID

Johan45

Before we teach someone else the wrong terms
VID (voltage identifications) is voltage programmed into the CPU for the multiple power stages everything else is core voltage.

OP
Heroic_Void

Heroic_Void

Registered
They're one in the same :) The bios will probably add the 3 dec point as "0"

I'm using the adapative voltage, but that is something to turn on after he determines he's stable at X VID

So far I changed the Core Voltage to 1.25 and the Multiplier to 40 and done a quick rendering of a 5 minute long 1080p video and the highest temp the CPU hit was 49 Celsius. I can probably push it much more.

I think I'll change the multiplier to 44 next.

OP
Heroic_Void

Heroic_Void

Registered
So I did the same render at 44 on the multiplier and the highest temp the CPU reached was 51 Celsius. I think I'll up the multiplier to 48 next.

Johan45

Now tell him where his vCore will be shown in HW monitor :D

Not my fault they have them backwards on Intel for AMD they use V_Core properly.

Small steps young grasshopper ;)

Yeah what he said. Too big of jumps will leave you guessing at required voltage. It's never good to just start plugging numbers in