• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to upgrade, is it worth it? Opinions please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morbid

Nitpicker
Hey all, right now, I got a PNY GeForce3 Ti200 running at 250/560. Problem is, Battlefield 1942 chops at high detail in 800x600 (even with all the goodies turned off in the vid card properties... only the game's high-detail options turned on). Well, i've been wanting to get a new video card... all I have to spend is in the neighborhood of $200, maybe $250. My question is, what should I go for... or should I at all?

I was thinking either the:

GAINWARD/CARDEXPERT GeForce 4 Ti 4200, 3.3ns, 64MB DDR. Golden Sample

or

ALBATRON GeForce 4 TI4200P TURBO (NVIDIA GeForce4 TI4200 GPU), 128MB DDR, DVI+VGA TV-Out. w/DVI adaptor

Mainly because they claim to have 3.3ns memory. IF I should upgrade to a Ti4200/4400... which one would you choose? I'd like an awesome, proven overclocker (even tho I know it's all luck of the draw). Just fishing for some suggestions :)

Thanks!

I'd wait

A Geforce3 Ti 200 is a pretty good card. I would wait until more cards come out around christmas because the performance increase you'll see won't be great. Just me though. I had a TNT2 16mb as of last month :rolleyes:

I value all input on this and thank you for the input.

I keep hearing different release dates for the NV30, now I hear November? I thought the NV18's were coming out in December-ish and the NV30's in like Feb.

not a chance, we wont see the first real nv30 benchmarks in home computers until february, a gf3 ti500 can take it for a little longer, you could mod it:

cooljag 311c: $19
AATA: $11

both shipped, that can take you to 300/600 easily and it will last until nv30 gets cheap enough, just save your money until nv30 is $250 shipped. Then you can use that cool modded gf3 on another pc or either sell it.

It's already modded... it's got a pretty heftly HSF sittin on it that has allowed me to run 250/560 stable. Anything higher, it crashed 3d apps or artifacts. I've never seen a GF3Ti200 run 300/600... highest, maybe 265/570... that i've seen.

PhobMX said:
not a chance, we wont see the first real nv30 benchmarks in home computers until february, a gf3 ti500 can take it for a little longer, you could mod it:

thats opinion, please make sure people understand that. nvidia is still saying they are shooting to release before christmas, correct? what you are saying is a possibility but just gotta make sure people know that.

Morbid said:
Hey all, right now, I got a PNY GeForce3 Ti200 running at 250/560. Problem is, Battlefield 1942 chops at high detail in 800x600 (even with all the goodies turned off in the vid card properties... only the game's high-detail options turned on). Well, i've been wanting to get a new video card... all I have to spend is in the neighborhood of $200, maybe $250. My question is, what should I go for... or should I at all?

I remember Ed saying ......

Philosophical shootout, two quite different ways of looking at this computer hardware world: The Optimal Time Vs. The Eternal Now.

"These people believe in what I call The Eternal Now doctrine. Here is how I think it goes:

A person has a computer system. Usually (but not always), he has left it alone for a while. Then The Event occurs. For whatever reason, the owner of the computer determines (often suddenly), "My computer sucks." This determination may be reasonably objective ("I can't play this new game decently"); it may be either or also psychological ("I am behind the Jones'. Because my computer sucks, I suck.") The aftermath of The Event often leaves the owner in considerable emotional turmoil, especially when psychological factors predominate. The owner goes from apathy to red alert, and is determined to remedy the problem and remedy it NOW. This leaves the now would-be buyer in an emotional and essentially irrational state on the subject of when to buy. There is no past. There is no future. There is only the need to self-gratify NOW, and the greater the degree of self-identication with the computer, the more pressing and insistent the need."

Back