• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to upgrade my system for a nominal price...need some suggestions and adv

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FlipORican

Recently my PSU blew and now my Graphic Card fan has stopped working. However, it has been 6 years since I built my PC, so all the component are 6 years old. While I was able to build my PC, I had help picking the best components with the budget I had at the time.

Based on my current specs what would you suggest or advice regarding getting a new PSU and graphic card. I can't afford more than $150 for both. Of course, the more I can save the better. I also have a Cooler Master Seidon 120M Liquid CPU Cooler I have yet to install as I am considering overclocking my CPU, and which I have decided to wait installing until I get a more reliable PSU.

So I am seeking advice on the best (inexpensive) graphic cards to consider to play STO and other games, preferably with HDMI, VGA, and DVI connections as I currently use a two monitor setup; and a recommended PSU. There are so many graphic cards out there and I don't know what to get and look for, especially for gaming. So here is my current setup:

Item #1: The Case - Cooler Master CM Storm Scout ATX Gaming Computer Case

Item#2: The CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Item#3: The Motherboard - MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Item#4: Memory - Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Kit

Item#5: Memory - Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin Limited Edition DDR3 Desktop Memory Kit (added in mid-2015)

Item#6: Graphic Card - XFX GT-520M-CNF2 NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 2048MB DDR3 PCIe 2.0 x16 Video Card

Item#7: Power Supply – EVGA 600W 80 Plus (temporary new replacement)

Item#8: Operating System Boot Drive – SanDisk SSD Plus 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Item#9: Storage Drive 1 - Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB (WD10EURX) IntelliPower SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (used for documents and pictures)

Item#10: Storage Drive 2 - Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB (WD20EARX) IntelliPower SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (used for music collection)

Item#11: Storage Drive 2 - Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB (WD30EZRX) IntelliPower SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (used for videos and backup)

Item#12: CD/DVD Burner - Samsung 22X DVD±RW Burner with Dual Layer Support

Item#13: Wireless Adapter - ASUS 300Mbps Wireless N PCIe Adapter

Item#14: Operating System - Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit

Item#15: HP HD LED 23" HDMI Monitor

Item#16: Gateway LCD 21" VGA Monitor (planning to replace with another 23" LED Monitor)

wingman99

I would just purchase a new EVGA SuperNOVA 220-P2-0650-X1 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular continuous Power Supply and a EVGA GTX 970 For 1080p monitor. That will be all you need your CPU is plenty good for gaming.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
The PSU you are using temporarily sounds like a decent choice to me. My advice would be to divert all $150 into the best GPU you can afford and be happy!