• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to upgrade my system for a nominal price...need some suggestions and adv

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FlipORican

Recently my PSU blew and now my Graphic Card fan has stopped working. However, it has been 6 years since I built my PC, so all the component are 6 years old. While I was able to build my PC, I had help picking the best components with the budget I had at the time.

Based on my current specs what would you suggest or advice regarding getting a new PSU and graphic card. I can't afford more than $150 for both. Of course, the more I can save the better. I also have a Cooler Master Seidon 120M Liquid CPU Cooler I have yet to install as I am considering overclocking my CPU, and which I have decided to wait installing until I get a more reliable PSU.

So I am seeking advice on the best (inexpensive) graphic cards to consider to play STO and other games, preferably with HDMI, VGA, and DVI connections as I currently use a two monitor setup; and a recommended PSU. There are so many graphic cards out there and I don't know what to get and look for, especially for gaming. So here is my current setup:

Item #1: The Case - Cooler Master CM Storm Scout ATX Gaming Computer Case

Item#2: The CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Item#3: The Motherboard - MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Item#4: Memory - Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Kit

Item#5: Memory - Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin Limited Edition DDR3 Desktop Memory Kit (added in mid-2015)

Item#6: Graphic Card - XFX GT-520M-CNF2 NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 2048MB DDR3 PCIe 2.0 x16 Video Card

Item#7: Power Supply – EVGA 600W 80 Plus (temporary new replacement)

Item#8: Operating System Boot Drive – SanDisk SSD Plus 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Item#9: Storage Drive 1 - Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB (WD10EURX) IntelliPower SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (used for documents and pictures)

Item#10: Storage Drive 2 - Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB (WD20EARX) IntelliPower SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (used for music collection)

Item#11: Storage Drive 2 - Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB (WD30EZRX) IntelliPower SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (used for videos and backup)

Item#12: CD/DVD Burner - Samsung 22X DVD±RW Burner with Dual Layer Support

Item#13: Wireless Adapter - ASUS 300Mbps Wireless N PCIe Adapter

Item#14: Operating System - Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit

Item#15: HP HD LED 23" HDMI Monitor

Item#16: Gateway LCD 21" VGA Monitor (planning to replace with another 23" LED Monitor)

I would just purchase a new EVGA SuperNOVA 220-P2-0650-X1 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular continuous Power Supply and a EVGA GTX 970 For 1080p monitor. That will be all you need your CPU is plenty good for gaming.

The PSU you are using temporarily sounds like a decent choice to me. My advice would be to divert all $150 into the best GPU you can afford and be happy!

Back