• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lookng for Nouveau

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

curtis1552

Just installed Mint8, but decided that since i no longer game I should up my 2d support. Read that the Nouveau driver, based on the nv driver, uses the 3d pipelines to improve 2d performance (or some-such, i'm a user, not a programmer)

i know it's getting worked into upcoming releases of Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian, and openSUSE (it's already in some of them) but I want it now.

So the Nouveau driver:
WIKI

Was wondering if anyone had experience with it?

Should I goto the hassle of trying to get it to work?

UnseenMenace

UnseenModerator
I use the Nouveau driver, its stable and I don't game

Can't say I have an opinion on it other than it works, it does not seem superior to any other driver imho

Charr

I used the nouveau driver for a couple of months. I really like how they are progressing with it, plus it is the only option for Nvidia KMS. I only stopped using it recently to start developing with CUDA & OpenCL.

Its pretty easy to get to work, but you'll probably need to reconfig your kernel. It needs Mesa 7.6+, and nvidia framebuffer support support.