• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looks for help deciding on what card 1060 vs 1070

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

||Console||

I'm looking for input on what I should get . Most of the time I play CSGO , I recently bought bf1 ultimate so I plan on playing that quite a bit for the next few years. I play on a 1080p 60hz monitor , I don't plan on going 1440p anytime soon . Also will be using this 4670k for the lifetime of my new card .

I don't need to play on ultra but would like high settings @70+ fps for the life of bf1.
(Meaning the 4 dlc)

I really want a 1070 but I don't know if I need it (it is 250$ more than the 1060 6 gig).

I have looked at a lot of reviews but still can't makeup my mind . So what do people think ?

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/geforce-gtx-1060-nvidia-recommended-gpu-for-battlefield-1

Looks like they're saying the GTX 1060 will be a good match for BF1 at 1080p using the 'High' presets, it's what they recommend for 60fps play.

*link summary:
If you’re looking to play the full release, EA today announced their Battlefield 1 system requirements, recommending NVIDIA gamers to gear up with a GeForce GTX 1060 for 60 FPS action at 1920x1080, when using the High graphics preset.

If you are planning for 'the next few years' its a no brainer to get the 1070. 1060 is a viable card today at 1080p... I wouldn't bet on it in two years. Id get a 1070.

If you are planning for 'the next few years' its a no brainer to get the 1070. 1060 is a viable card today at 1080p... I wouldn't bet on it in two years. Id get a 1070.

With FPS games, he's going to be quite allright with the i5-1060 combo @ 1080 for a long, long time. CSGO is 4 years old, and BF1 isn't the most demanding title.

Not saying you're incorrect, but given the uses the circumstances suggest a 1060 would be a more prudent expense.

With FPS games, he's going to be quite allright with the i5-1060 combo @ 1080 for a long, long time. CSGO is 4 years old, and BF1 isn't the most demanding title.
We are talking GPUs, bob!

EDIT: Oh I see what you did there... i5 AND 1060, :rofl:

You know my motto... always get the best you can afford. If one can afford a 1070 now over a 1060, I vote to get it. If you need to save some cash and move that 'window of useful life' closer, a 1060 is a great choice as well. My thinking is more along the lines of he will play other games at some point... if those are the only two titles, than the 1060 is the 'no brainer' here. :)

We are talking GPUs, bob@ :)

You know my motto... always get the best you can afford. If one can afford a 1070 now over a 1060, I vote to get it. If you need to save some cash and move that 'window of useful life' closer, a 1060 is a great choice as well. :)

? I said "i5-1060" Instead of "i5-4670k and gtx 1060" lol

By the time the 1060 isn't cutting it anymore, I would think the i5 would be showing its age as well. Of course, if he can hack the 1070, yeah get that lol. I just dont want him to have the impression that the "in 2 years, the 1060 will be useless". Its double the cost here, and for BF1 and CS GO, that expense is basically useless improvement.

I really need to get all my thoughts out at once... I edited the post before you threw yours up. :)

Just for clarification, my post wasn't shameless self promotion. I was thinking of DX 12 performance down the road, where the 480 seems to have a slight advantage from what I recall. No love for Team Red. LOL

NVidia recommends the GTX 1060 for 60fps @ 1080p on High settings. So I would see that as a minimum. Yes it will work good, but as stated above who knows for how long? You can also drop down a step on graphic settings and push the 1060 out longer, but if you want to stay on the highest settings and/or get better than 60fps (op stated 70+fps), the GTX 1070 would be a better buy.

I would say purchase a GTX 1070 for the future DX12 Games that will use the i5 4670k with 4 cores more efficiently.:cool:

? I said "i5-1060" Instead of "i5-4670k and gtx 1060" lol

By the time the 1060 isn't cutting it anymore, I would think the i5 would be showing its age as well. Of course, if he can hack the 1070, yeah get that lol. I just dont want him to have the impression that the "in 2 years, the 1060 will be useless". Its double the cost here, and for BF1 and CS GO, that expense is basically useless improvement.

That was my thinking with the CPU as well for now it does all I need and more . And I really only play FPS and not many I would bet 95% of my game time over the next two years will be bf1/bf4 and csgo

That was my thinking with the CPU as well for now it does all I need and more . And I really only play FPS and not many I would bet 95% of my game time over the next two years will be bf1/bf4 and csgo

Well if your not going to purchase any new games in the next 2-3 years go with the GTX 1060. I have a GTX 970 1080p and I'm not planing on upgrading till I have a game that goes below 60 FPS.

I was under the impression that Team Red had the edge in DX 12?

From my limited research it seems that there's not really any 'true' DX12/Vulkan games around most are basically made for DX11 with a DX12 patch? I need to do more reading on the subject.

When a game is built from the ground up using the new apis (like Doom) then AMD will be superior.

It seems that Pascal is slightly better for DX12 than Maxwell? But still I'd never put any faith in recent Nvidia architectures and future proofing.

I'm looking for input on what I should get . Most of the time I play CSGO , I recently bought bf1 ultimate so I plan on playing that quite a bit for the next few years. I play on a 1080p 60hz monitor ,

Honestly the 1060 will max games out fine. By the time you need more power new architectures will be released.

I was under the impression that Team Red had the edge in DX 12?
True, however the OP is picking from GTX 1070 vs GTX 1060 so I went with Nvidia.

From my limited research it seems that there's not really any 'true' DX12/Vulkan games around most are basically made for DX11 with a DX12 patch? I need to do more reading on the subject.

When a game is built from the ground up using the new apis (like Doom) then AMD will be superior.

It seems that Pascal is slightly better for DX12 than Maxwell? But still I'd never put any faith in recent Nvidia architectures and future proofing.

Honestly the 1060 will max games out fine. By the time you need more power new architectures will be released.

What you said is true. :) API=DX12, Game engine = software frame work, for the game. It could be 2-3 years for full implementation of DX12 Game engine and hardware.

What is going on with DX12 and Vulkan?

Mantle was amazing too...

Until there is (a lot more) DX12 implementations, I'd go 1060. If this question was asked 2-3 years from now, I'd be 480. :)

Back