• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGG blank screen at Windows 7 startup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
Okay. So i turn on my computer. RAID starts up, BIOS shows my really nice pic of the side of the computer for about 4 seconds, then it begins loading Windows. Loads for ~30 seconds. I go to login, goes to the login page instantly. Type in password, hit enter... and it shows the welcome screen... however there is ZERO hard drive activity. It goes to a blank desktop with nothing at all but a cursor... then about a minute after that it starts actually loading. 5 seconds later it's done and computer is fully usable... i don't get it, this just randomly started, and i have no clue what's doing it :rain:

Anyone got any idea? I love Windows 7, and i know that it's not the OS. This happened in Vista on my dad's HP laptop with Vista, but we never found a solution... this is about to drive me out of my mind though :cry:

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Type msconfig in the Start Search field | 'Boot' tab | Check 'Boot log', hit OK and reboot. When you arrive at the Desktop, look for the ntbtlog.txt file in the %SystemRoot%\Ntbtlog.txt directory, then check the log for anything related to the slow startup. While in the Configuration Utility--> 'Boot' tab--> Boot Advanced Options, make sure 'Number of processors' is not checked.

Last edited:

Mr.Guvernment

msconfig / start up disable everything, reboot see what happens

also try booting up with your network card unplug / disabled

OP
CompuTamer

CompuTamer

Type msconfig in the Start Search field | 'Boot' tab | Check 'Boot log', hit OK and reboot. When you arrive at the Desktop, look for the ntbtlog.txt file in the %SystemRoot%\Ntbtlog.txt directory, then check the log for anything related to the slow startup. While in the Configuration Utility--> 'Boot' tab--> Boot Advanced Options, make sure 'Number of processors' is not checked.

THANK YOU!!

It was the IDCC.
I tried to install it a few days ago, and it said that it installed right, but it owuldn't start... never got around to uninstalling it though. Yesterday was the first time that i've restarted my computer in a good bit, so i guess i just didn't relate the two. Thank you so much for your suggestion :D My sanity will last a little bit longer now :clap:

gottcha

msconfig / start up disable everything, reboot see what happens

also try booting up with your network card unplug / disabled

redduc900 I to have been having slow boots on vista ultimate 64 bit and i did the boot log you refered to but how do i view it?? i put Ntbtlog.txt in the search and found the text file a very long text file but it just sat drivers load or not loaded and lots of duplicates.

Mr. Guv i also tried you trick and i still have the slowness

turbohans

guys, check this video out, I'm a kinestetic learner so im not gonna explain that in typed words. Kid might be ten narating but explains a few good things to start with.....

"how to make windows boot up and shutdown faster"(<--hyperlink)

Edit: THIS is my own video showing a bootup with no gui. (raid 0, [email protected], 4gb ram, x64 7) Maybe a few seconds shaved with that but yea,, long blank screen, only 60seconds to desktop though...

Last edited:
OP
CompuTamer

CompuTamer

redduc900 I to have been having slow boots on vista ultimate 64 bit and i did the boot log you refered to but how do i view it?? i put Ntbtlog.txt in the search and found the text file a very long text file but it just sat drivers load or not loaded and lots of duplicates.

Mr. Guv i also tried you trick and i still have the slowness

Just look through it and try to guess about where the problem is... it'd be helpful if there were time stamps :/

jgv115

I get this sometimes. I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials and I got a feeling it happens when the antivirus is updating.

I will try the methods above as well.