• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Losing Internet connection, does not renewal IP address

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nasdaq

Having a problem with my PC losing my Internet connection lately. This all started in April of this year when I would lose the connection for a few minutes and then it would come back by itself. Later I would lose it completely and I would have to unplug the power to reset the router, this would happen every two weeks or so.

Now, I lose the connection every few days. I have Comcast cable and have called thier support line, the CSR I spoke with said that they could ping my cable modem and told me it must be something with my PC that's causing it to not renewal the IP address. I have gone to the router manufactuer's site and downloaded the current firmware thinking that may help, but it has not. Just wondering if anyone here would be able to help me out here with htis problem.

My set-up:
Comcast cable --> Linksys BEFCMU10 cable modem --> Netgear RP614 wired router --> PC
I also have a D-Link DWL Ap connected to the router.

Runner30

I had an onboard NIC on my Abit NF7 "die" and won't renew DHCP address.
Of course the tech support was helpless.
Try a different NIC.

SavageBasher

If you have the router on dhcp, then try it on static. My connection would drop every 6 hours if I kept it on dhcp, and I would have to restart the router to fix it.

David

Forums Super Moderator
I would try the following:

- Connect the computer directly to the cable modem. Same issues?
- Try a different NIC (as suggested above)

My router plays up sometimes - it just disconnects me then reconnects me. Its really annoying when it happens when I'm playing on Bnet - because i drop from the game.

OP
Nasdaq

Nasdaq

Well, the NIC I have is built-in into the mobo so I'll have to see if I can find another one to use. I just tried connecting directly from the modem to the PC and I couldn't even get the internet, now that's very odd.

Now it's getting worse because I just reset the router by unplugging the power and within 30 minutes I lost the connection again.

OP
Nasdaq

Nasdaq

SavageBasher said:
If you have the router on dhcp, then try it on static. My connection would drop every 6 hours if I kept it on dhcp, and I would have to restart the router to fix it.

Just tried it on static and lost the signal once more. The internet connection stayed for about an hour before I lost it again.

Disputant

I had a similar experience with Comcast over a year ago in the Chicago area. They tried to tell me it was hardware, but in the end it was something on their servers. I found that others were experiencing my issues. Try over at http://www.broadbandreports.com to see if anyone else in your area is having issues, if not, then look at hardware.

I think Comcast needs a certain number of people to complain for it to qualify as an issue, so I used to call over and over until they listened.

On a side note, in the past I have had my firewalls too tightly configured to renew the IP address. And on another occasion, my drivers got botched and had the same effect.

OP
Nasdaq

Nasdaq

Well, I may have found the solution to my problem. I too had gone over to http://www.broadbandreports.com to read if my problems sounded similar to anyone elses but nothing. Then I read where a person was having problems with a wired router and one of the ports not working for some reason. Well, what else do I have to lose, so I switched my cable from port 1 to port 3 and guess what?

I have had the PC on for over 20 hours now and still have a connection. Looks like the port was going out on me. I'm going to give a few days and see what happens.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread and offered their help.

Nasdaq

OP
Nasdaq

Nasdaq

Well, guess what happened after two days of not losing my connection? It's started again. I thought for sure that switching to a different port resolved the issues I was having with my internet, but it was a short lived assumption.

Now what? Anyone?