• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lost internet for a day. I think it was my fault.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
I had gotten rid of my Ubiquiti USG-Pro-V4 and replaced it with a pfsense machine. It took me three tries to make the switch but I finally did it. Then I installed Snort and two other programs. I can't even tell you what the other two programs were. One was just for monitoring traffic. A few days after installing these programs, my entire network stopped working. Note:
DOCSIS 3.1 modem > 2.5 Gb pfsense > 2.5 Gb unmanaged switch > 16 port PoE Ubiquiti switch > Cloud Key > WAP > 16 port unmanaged switch > WAP

I did not configure anything. pfsense does DHCP and I have 16 static routes for the infrastructure and IOT. The Cloud key for example has a static route. So too do the WAPs.

My guess is that one of the programs I installed blocked DHCP traffic? Is that even a thing?

So where I find myself is that I need to lear a lot and don't want to spend the time learning it. 1st world problem for sure. I'll get into it more later I guess but for now, pfsense is installed with default settings except for the user name/password.

Did you try the config with snort disabled?

I believe pfsense allows dhcp traffic by default both in public and private address space.

Are you confident dns , local gateways and NAT are working properly?

If the problem seems intermittent clear the ARP Table , NDP table and reset the states. Comparisons may not be accurate otherwise.

Use the pfsense ping tool to help diagnosis connectivity

Last edited:
I didn't really play around with it. I removed all packages that I installed and rebooted everything. I then had another unrelated issue with my Plex server so I spent my time working on that.

I had gotten rid of my Ubiquiti USG-Pro-V4 and replaced it with a pfsense machine. It took me three tries to make the switch but I finally did it. Then I installed Snort and two other programs. I can't even tell you what the other two programs were. One was just for monitoring traffic. A few days after installing these programs, my entire network stopped working. Note:
DOCSIS 3.1 modem > 2.5 Gb pfsense > 2.5 Gb unmanaged switch > 16 port PoE Ubiquiti switch > Cloud Key > WAP > 16 port unmanaged switch > WAP

I did not configure anything. pfsense does DHCP and I have 16 static routes for the infrastructure and IOT. The Cloud key for example has a static route. So too do the WAPs.

My guess is that one of the programs I installed blocked DHCP traffic? Is that even a thing?

So where I find myself is that I need to lear a lot and don't want to spend the time learning it. 1st world problem for sure. I'll get into it more later I guess but for now, pfsense is installed with default settings except for the user name/password.
It sounds like you've taken on quite a project with your network setup and the switch from Ubiquiti to pfSense. Installing additional programs like Snort and others can sometimes lead to unexpected network issues if not configured correctly. Blocking DHCP traffic could potentially disrupt the network, as DHCP is essential for device connectivity. Given your complex setup, it might be worthwhile to take some time to dive into learning about pfSense and the additional software you've installed. Learning and troubleshooting can be time-consuming, but it's a valuable investment in maintaining a stable network. Feel free to ask for help or advice if you decide to explore the configuration further. Good luck with your network endeavors!

Back