• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lost Vista Install Disk Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

setotitan

OK I just got this laptop from my employer that has Vista on it. It's all cluttered up with someone else junk who had it previously. The issue is he no longer has the install disk that came with it. So my question is two fold...

A) Is there anyway to restore it to it's factory state without the disc?

or

B) If I burn a copy of another Vista Disc, as long as I have the registration key is that all that's required to verify the authenticity?

I know you can look up the registry key so I don't think that should be an issue, just not sure if each disc is paired with it's own registration key. I know it sounds out there but this is Microsoft ;)

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Does the laptop have a restore partition setup on it?

A disc is not associated with a specific key, no.

OP
setotitan

setotitan

no restore partition :( looks like were doing this the hard way. my thoughts, use magic jelly bean finder, then DL a copy of vista install disc from a torrent site. should that work?

Cowboy Shane

Why do you need Jelly Bean to recover the key? There should be a sticker affixed to the laptop with the key for the OEM version of Windows.

Without that or the installation media and accompanying COA, it seems you may be in a bit of a grey area with regard to having a valid license of Windows. Your best, and most legally sound, choice would be to purchase an OEM copy of Windows Vista.

supergeek

I would completely restore the computer using custom installation of windows vista, If needed there are plenty of places u can get the ISO image of vista. Then just use software by novicorp (WINTOFLASH) to make the flash drive bootable. Then just boot up via the flash drive from the BIOS competly erase the targeted partition and install simple as that. Use torrents to get the ISO

Xtreme Barton

Why do you need Jelly Bean to recover the key? There should be a sticker affixed to the laptop with the key for the OEM version of Windows.

Without that or the installation media and accompanying COA, it seems you may be in a bit of a grey area with regard to having a valid license of Windows. Your best, and most legally sound, choice would be to purchase an OEM copy of Windows Vista.
nonsense .. if anything to clear the grey up and make people happy here id say find someone with an actual install disk and just use use the key you have already

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
nonsense .. if anything to clear the grey up and make people happy here id say find someone with an actual install disk and just use use the key you have already

This would be much safer than downloading a torrent. I can't tell you how many times I have had to fix someones system, because they thought that a downloaded version of windows would be safe to use. For one thing, they usually have a key set up in the ISO, similar to an unattended install, the key is usually not legit, and in a lot of cases, there is some kind of virus on the disc. You will be much safer borrowing a disc from someone that has a legit OEM disc, and in the case of Vista, will either have to be ultimate or the same version that laptop has. For instance, you can not install Home Premium from a Business disc, but the Ultimate can install all versions of Vista. I hope this helps.

Cowboy Shane

The key he has may have been from a site license or other source that does not extend to the him. Simply having a valid copy of Windows on a system does not ensure he has a legal right to use it. The copy of Windows that was installed may not be transferable to him.

No biggie. It's not like anybody is going to bust down doors over it, but, it is possible he is not in compliance with MS licensing.

Cowboy Shane

Or, perhaps, it was installed from a retail version. If that copy of Vista was installed on another system, then it is no longer valid on the laptop we are discussing. If it were an OEM copy installed on there, then, that copy is not valid on any other hardware.

The lack of a COA or physical media strongly implies the software is not entirely on the up and up for use by setotitan. If he had a sticker on the laptop or something, that is an entirely different matter.

I am not trying be a tool here, but I thought there were forum guidelines against discussing things like downloading Windows from ISO sites or borrowing discs.

johnz

The key he has may have been from a site license or other source that does not extend to the him. Simply having a valid copy of Windows on a system does not ensure he has a legal right to use it. The copy of Windows that was installed may not be transferable to him.

No biggie. It's not like anybody is going to bust down doors over it, but, it is possible he is not in compliance with MS licensing.

To extend this thought, the key in the machine may be for oem install only. It very well might not match the sticker on the outside. If you use JellyBean to extract the installed key, it probably won't work(assuming it doesn't match the sticker). I'd get a oem copy of Vista somehow, then use the sticker number to install.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I am not trying be a tool here, but I thought there were forum guidelines against discussing things like downloading Windows from ISO sites or borrowing discs.
But AFAIK, that isnt illegal to DL Windows. You pay for the key and the key is what you need to active Windows. M I RITE? :shrug:

Xtreme Barton

^
technically your not suppose to download iso's .. but if you use a disc whether its yours or a friends and you have your own key then its ok .. i see nothing wrong with a reinstall ..maybe the previous owner scratched off the sticker beings it was in a work environment or what not so nobody else would swing by and write it down .. who knows

for the sake of it lets not assume its one or the other .. im sure you could pull the key and see whether its retail or oem .. but that still doesn't tell you its legal or not .. if you get a computer and its activated there is only so much you can do to .. doesn't mean you should just go buy a oem just in case .. if were that worried about it lets instruct him how to find out if the key he has is good or bad first and go from there

supergeek

Not illegal at all to borrow a disc they friggin have windows 7 install disks all over the internet for FREE because the key is the only thing that really matters I would recommend just buying windows 7 if ur computer can handle it I have an acer aspire one netbook running windows 7 and mac os x with just 1gb ram and 1.6ghz intel atom n270

RoC1909

Not illegal at all to borrow a disc they friggin have windows 7 install disks all over the internet for FREE because the key is the only thing that really matters I would recommend just buying windows 7 if ur computer can handle it I have an acer aspire one netbook running windows 7 and mac os x with just 1gb ram and 1.6ghz intel atom n270

A Acer with those stats running Windows 7 and Mac O/S??? Jeez.