• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Loud hard drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illah

My hard drive just started making this annoying whine type of shound. I don't remember it doing this before. I have a hard drive cage so I took it out, it is the hard drive. What might be causing this?

I just went to near silent water and it was cool, then this vibrationlike whine!

--Illah

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
Then it's still got time to die. Hard drives will either crap out within the first year, or they'll last until the end of time.

TinMan

True what you say, I have an old seagate drive thats 3 years old and an even older 1gig drive that has no sticker that is about 7 years.

But I have 2 maxtor drives in at the moment, one I am going to RMA because the BIOS has activated SMART warnings that is going to fail (and it fails to spin up every now and then) and the second is slowly becomming noisy with the same while high pitched noise, but after running a SMART explorer is says performance and reliability is under 50%

First one is 15 months old form Comet and so its going to maxtor.
The second is from overclockers.co.uk and they dont want to know about it because I had one exchanged a while ago and so they say it is most likly me and without a definate failur they will just send it back and charge me a handeling fee

OP
Illah

Illah

A smart explorer says mine is at 100% in all areas... Hmmm. Which program did you use? I'm gonna try re-seating all the screws and cleaning out some dust, maybe that'll help. I was gonna be getting another drive soon, I might do it really soon now just in case this one has one of those sudden death thingies.

Can FSB cause a drive to die? I always just thought that it might corrupt data, but not actually damage it. I'm at 164 FSB, 41 MHz on PCI.

--Illah

Chris

this is quite odd i have the exact same problem! A wining noise from the harddrive. Its the second time its happened to me, first time was about a year ago it started a little wine then after a few days it got wrose the drive was about a year old at the time it happened so it was still under warranty so i got a replacement. i think ill take this one back this weekend for a replacement and this time i wont be getting an IBM drive :cool:

OP
Illah

Illah

I got IBM too... Man, my original choice was the WD Special Edition 120 Gig but this was like $100 cheaper at the time and I was scrounging to build my machine. Now I got a much better paying job and I don't need a full on $1200+ to build a machine, so I think I'll go for the warantee and just buy the WD 120 after all. Then the replacement can go in my girlfriends machine, she only types papers, goes online, and listens to MP3's anyway :)

What's IBM's warantee policy, do you know?

--Illah

Chris

Illah said:
I got IBM too... Man, my original choice was the WD Special Edition 120 Gig but this was like $100 cheaper at the time and I was scrounging to build my machine. Now I got a much better paying job and I don't need a full on $1200+ to build a machine, so I think I'll go for the warantee and just buy the WD 120 after all. Then the replacement can go in my girlfriends machine, she only types papers, goes online, and listens to MP3's anyway :)

What's IBM's warantee policy, do you know?

--Illah

im not sure about that i know its 2 years though, but like i say this is the second one ive had and the same problem maybe its a fault of IBM's? The shop i got mine from took the first one back no problems they plugged it in herd the noise and gave me a replacement straight away!

EDIT: I wont be getting IBM again think ill go with wester-digital also;)

OP
Illah

Illah

I'd rather deal with IBM direct if I could, the place I ordered from online gave me hell the first time around. I don't wanna deal with em again! They'd probably pull something to get out of it. I checked their page and they have a $35 bench test fee if you send them something that's not broken! Plus I looked and they don't have the 60gig version anymore, they must be out.

I used to really like IBM too, I though they made good drives...

--Illah

TinMan

The SMART program I use is usually SMART indicator available for free! from http://adenix.net/smart/indicator.html

give a nice easy readout and for people that want more it has a full report system built it so you know whats wrong.

Here are some pics of what it thinks of my drives.

TinMan

The first pic is the one that the company I purchased it from says there aint a problem and that the values could be minipulated. Will be sending it back soon because of noise reasons. back to maxtor.

The pic below is the drive that refuses to spin up at time, also noisy and just out of 12 resellers warrenty so it is also going back to maxtor, first on advanced replacment.

TinMan

OK then, I got my new drive from maxtor today to replace this broken one.

It is a Diamondmax 60 and the old, broke one is a diamondmax plus 45.

Specs appear the same

Put it in, install windows and what do I get, a working drive :)

All this at a cost :eh?: I can hear the drive read and write data, its louder than this broke drive and I have even put the case sides on! Do you think they gave me a duff one?