• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

low FPS in CS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonwessel

I get an average of about 45 FPS in CS. Here is my current setup! Any reasons why? BTW i only had about 55 FPS in 1.5!

Intel P4 1.6GHz
Sapphire Radeon 9500 non-pro 128mb softmodded, Omega drivers, OCed to 320 core and about 285 memory.
20GB HD
128mb pc-133
WIN ME

Can you plz list in order what i should upgrade. I only have 128mb b/c the other big stick is on the way. No i ain't upgradin memory type any time soon. I rather have 1GB of pc-133 than 384MB of PC-3200!

CamH

More RAM would help more than anything. If you can afford it, you may be better off getting a new motherboard, processor, and RAM so that you get DDR.

{PMS}fishy

Try different drivers. Omegas never worked well for me with CS.

I had a Celeron 1.1, Radeon 7000, and 256mb or SDRAM and I got on average 75fps.

You frame rate is just pathetic for your system.

OP
jonwessel

jonwessel

i agree, but first before i spend anymore money i'm going to find out how to completely optimize WinME so that it will be the best it can be for gaming purposes! thanks

pkrew

I'd have to agree with Strida. WinMe has got to be the worse operating system the MS put out and it would be a very cheap upgrade. For that matter I have a copy of windows2000 that I don't use anymore. Its the upgrade version and wont upgrade Me so you'd have to find an older version of windows to upgrade from. But your more than welcome to have it as long as you pay the shipping.

CamH

That's a nice offer, pkrew. Windows 2000 is arguably the best Microsoft OS to date. :)

pkrew

CamH said:
That's a nice offer, pkrew. Windows 2000 is arguably the best Microsoft OS to date. :)

I agree, win2000 is stable as a rock and if you get all of the patches, much better for gaming then when it first came out. I'm using xp pro at the moment and its just sitting around collecting dust. Plus I thought it'd be nice to help jonwessel out. No offense, but I hate to see anyone stuck using Me.

Last edited:

{PMS}fishy

pkrew said:

I agree, win2000 is stable as a rock and if you get all of the patches, much better for gaming then when it first came out. I'm using xp pro at the moment and its just sitting around collecting dust. Plus I thought it'd be nice to help jonwessel out. No offense, but I hate to see anyone stuck using Me.

Friends don't let friends use 9x

stress

Registered
strange i used to get between 80fps & 99fps on my old system:-

xp1700+ pali
512 ddr 2100
gf3 ti200 128mb
winXP
refreshlock running

get a constant 99fps on my current system

Andy71600

Put this in your "Userconfig.cfg" it should be in ur counter-strike folder, and if it isnt... Make one! This gets me a 150 fps in 1.6 even w/ my ti-4200 i had 150 fps stable.

Hope it helps!

Code:
cl_weather "0"
fps_max "150"
developer "1"
r_dynamic "1" 
r_novis "0" 
r_traceglow "1" 
r_wateralpha "1" 
r_mirroralpha "0" 
r_bmodelhighfrac "5.0" 
r_lightmap "0" 
gl_max_size "256" 
precache "1" 
mp_decals "20" 
gl_affinemodels "0" 
gl_alphamin "0.25" 
gl_clear "0" 
gl_dither "1" 
gl_flipmatrix "0" 
gl_flashblend "0" 
gl_lightholes "0"

Andy71600

if u dont believe me ill take a ss or something, im not sure how... but all i know is if u put that in userconfig.cfg u get 150

Ill e-mail u a ss or something if u want it

sandrock

CS 1.6 can get higher than 100FPS. I believe you need to be running in developer mode though, and that config will do just that.

funnyperson1

Well first of all you wouldn't want 1GB of PC133 over 384 of DDR, at least not with a P4.

The bandwith is choked by SDRAM, a P4 needs all the bandwith it can get.

Of course that probably isn't your problem since a P3 600 can get 100 fps in CS.

My bet is its with the video card driver. Try using a different one.

oc_newbee

Sorry for this dumb question, How do you guys check your fps within CS. I need to know how mine is. Also there error pop up in CS(pod bot 2.5v), saying I need to close the program, after playing for a while(only happen every now and then). Do any of you guy have that and how to get rid of them. I only play mine with pod bot 2.5v.

I can run 3Dmark2001SE & 03 looping for hours without any error.

Thanks in advance.