• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low Lvl Format

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XprincoX

bargain hunter
What kinda hd do you have? You basically need to go get the program from the manufactures website and run the util. :D

sm0x

KLowD9x said:
whats the difference? I thought they both just weipped the FAT.

The low-level format prepares the disk physically for further use. It creates the physical tracks and sectors on the disk. A low-level format also creates a FAT but this FAT records the locations of the sectors and tracks.

sm0x

The difference between the FAT of a low-level and high-level format is that the high-level format creates a separate FAT so that the OS knows which files are in which clusters. As opposed to the FAT from the low-level format which tells the OS where the sectors and tracks are located.

twump

a low level format completely wipes the disk clean. on a normal microsoft format all it does is change the first bit of every file to make the os thinks its empty. the low level format completely erases the data and can correct errors on the disk. if you think a drive is going bad its a good idea to try a low level format as they can fix some errors and on occasion bring a drive back to life. a llf will also rewrite the boot sector which microsoft formats aren't very good at doing.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
You gotta be careful running a LLF because if you let it automaticly mark off what it thinks are errors, those sectors get permanently marked off as bad even if they weren't.

First thing I do with a new to me HD, is LLF and manually approve any repairs. Takes some patience sitting in front of the computer to respond to any hickups, but you know it's all good when you're done.

I also once had an incorrect CHS selected in my bios, and eventhough 98 installed ok, I kept getting errors using scandisk and it wanted to do a low level scan on auto fix. I said no. After I fixed the bios entry, it still errored out until I just bit the bullet and reinstalled 98. Re-ran scandisk and no bad sectors this time. It would have trashed the HD if I hadn't figured out the root problem and just let windows have it's way.

Either one of these scenarios can damage you HD if you let M$ run the show on its own.

Last edited: