• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low PPD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WedgeWhacko

Is there anywhere that we have listed that gives an idea on the expected ppd for a given cpu?

@ Stock.

I'm trying to find out why my e6420 is only getting 119 ppd, but I believe I have a bad configuration for FAH.
I would expect more than that. However I have the Q6600 pumping out SMP via VM with no problems, I even threw in the 4890 just to get an extra bump with the GPU.

Should I setup smp for the 6420 rather than the regular windows client?
Or could I use VM eventhough I only have 2gb of mem on that box?

Outback_Jon

Those point numbers look about right for a standard (single-core) client. You'd probably do better with the SMP client. Other option is another single-core client, but that would only about double your total PPD for that machine. The SMP client, even native in Windows, would produce probably more like 6x the PPD.

I can't offer any advice about a VM, as I haven't done that yet.

ChasR

I have a E6600 running @ 2.58 that makes about 1700 ppd on XP/VMware Player/ Ubuntu 9.10. It takes about 1 GB of ram to run the VM. You could get by with 100 MB less with a notfreds SMP client.