• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lowering voltage, raising cpu speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigdfootball89

i just built my first computer and i want to get into overcloking, but i wanted to know how i could lower the voltage but still get more speed out of the cpu.... right know i have my intel i7 950 oc to 3.70ghz. amd its using about 1.45 volts... any idea how i could lower the voltage without lowering the cpu speed

Boulard83

1.45v is REALLY high for this speed/CPU

Go into bios and Manual at least this :

vCore : ~1.275 ( should lead you to 4ghz )
vDram : ~1.64 ( depand on your RAM but lots of kit are 1.65v ... )
vQpi : ~1.3 ( seems to be a good starting points )
vPll : ~1.8 ( you can try a lil higher but its useless in lots of case )
PCIe frq : 100
Dram : Set you Factory timing and speed.
Uclk frq : 2x the RAM speed
QPI link : lower possible ( raise if stable )

OP
bigdfootball89

bigdfootball89

im on my other comp now. i changed the volts (befor i read your post) using some turbo app that came with the motherboard and it said that the comp. may become unstable and the computer froze. i turned it off and the when it started back up it gave me the blue screen. and then i started it up again and it gave me an option to start it win windows repair mode and noww thers nothing on the screen

Boulard83

Just reset your computer, you dont really need to boot into restore mode after a BSOD while OCing.

You can boot into bios and reset to default. Or input the settings ive said.

Manual you CPU multi to the highest possible and set the BCLK to ~150 for the first try.

After you booted into windows.

• Run a 10pass LinX MAX memory used. Watch temp with CoreTemp

Now, use TurboV ( you have an Asus board ? ) to raise the BCLK high 1 clock at the time.

Once you reach the speed you want.

• Run a 10pass LinX MAX memory used. Watch temp with CoreTemp

Boulard83

POWER the cpu off, turn it back on, It should start and tell you that your OC failed.

0.95v is damn low ...

OP
bigdfootball89

bigdfootball89

starting to get a little worried because i turned it off and turned it on again and it sends me to the screen to either start windows normally or in repair mode but i cant move the arrow up or down so it makes me start it in repair mode... and it didnt say anything about "your oc failed".

MIAHALLEN

starting to get a little worried because i turned it off and turned it on again and it sends me to the screen to either start windows normally or in repair mode but i cant move the arrow up or down so it makes me start it in repair mode... and it didnt say anything about "your oc failed".

Don't let it get that far...go into the BIOS and select "set to defaults"

MIAHALLEN

and how do i get into bios if it doesnt give me the option to press delete

maybe it's going by too fast for your graphics card to display...after resetting, just press delete repeatedly until the BIOS loads...if you miss it, no harm done :)