• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lubricant to help insert GPU.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
I could not force a GPU(RTX 2060) into my top slot. I ended up getting it into the bottom slot and the old GTX 970 slipped into the top slot without to much trouble.

Is there a lubricant like Vaseline, that could help the contacts slide in , without me breaking the GPU. I want to put another RTX 2060 into the slot.

I can get the side in where it clips in , but the small portion near the back pf PC is what is excessively tight. I also tried going the other way, back end in first but its not happening. Conversely the 970 went right in without a fuss, the tolerance was much less.

EDIT: Maybe the back of the bracket needs to be bent in, googling this that might be hitting and I can't see it....I was in a hurry while doing it.

Last edited:
sounds like a few strokes with the wife's nail file on the rear tang is what it needs.
it's only there for locking and alignment.

I could not force a GPU(RTX 2060) into my top slot. I ended up getting it into the bottom slot and the old GTX 970 slipped into the top slot without to much trouble.

Is there a lubricant like Vaseline, that could help the contacts slide in , without me breaking the GPU. I want to put another RTX 2060 into the slot.

I can get the side in where it clips in , but the small portion near the back pf PC is what is excessively tight. I also tried going the other way, back end in first but its not happening. Conversely the 970 went right in without a fuss, the tolerance was much less.

EDIT: Maybe the back of the bracket needs to be bent in, googling this that might be hitting and I can't see it....I was in a hurry while doing it.

I have found this to be the issue on numerous occasions over the years. The tab at the bottom of the GPU I/O plate sometimes needs to be bent back just a smidgen toward the rear of the card in order to insert properly in the gap between the edge of the motherboard and the rear I/OL panel of the computer case.

Last edited:
Lubricant? None. :)

Find out what is preventing it from going into the slot. This is not an issue that is resolved, properly, by lube. :rofl:

Back