• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lucky Man - HardDrive Failure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mothra

Registered
Just had to share this one.

I made the big move from the US to Tokyo at the end of last year with no problems, unfortunately my computer wasn't as lucky. Upon getting to Japan and starting up the system, I got the error message of 'no hard drive detected'. Awe $#%*

After countless hours of pulling out my hair, I finally came to the conclusion that it was really dead - along with all the data.

I decided to give it one last shot at recovering the data and searched around for nearly an entire weekend in the electronics district here in Tokyo and found the exact model hard drive - pretty amazing considering it was over a year old. Anyways, I swapped out the circuit board on the harddrives and.........IT BOOTED UP. Got all my data back - Yehaww.

Needless to say, I'm a little more diligent in backing up my files now.

Is there another solution if the circuit board on the hard drive goes kaput?..or was I just extremely lucky to find the same model?

stool

Welcome to the forums.

I'd say you were extremely lucky to have that work. Its easy as hell to ruin a hard drive when you open it, and finding the exact circuit board is really fortunate. Of course, with the drive crapped out already, you had nothing to lose.

You are already doing the best thing by constantly backing up your files.

OP
Mothra

Mothra

Registered
Good idea - I'll use it when I move back

Was going to ask a stupid question - if you've had problems with the X-ray machines screwing anything up.....oh, yeah - I send my laptop through everytime -duh:D