• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M.2 SSD installation with heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maculosa

Registered
Hi, I'm building my new PC and i have to install my new SSD (XPG SX8200Pro) on my MSI X570 Meg Unify. I have never installed SSD before so sorry if this may look stupid question.

1. The motherboard heatsink have a protective film that I have to remove when installing the SSD. But for the unused SSD slot do I have to remove the protective film on the MB heatsink or I leave it ?

2. The 8200pro come with a heatsink? (Thin metal sheat with XPG logo on it) it's not installed on the SSD but do I have to put it if I'm using the msi heatsink?

Thanks

I would not pull the sticker from the ssd itself, that will void your warranty. I would also try the heatsink from the motherboard first and check temps to see if they are satisfactory, if they are- I would leave it that way

1. No, pull it when you need to use it.
2. Do not pull the sticker on the drive and just use the motherboard heatsink.

I'm a little curious about this (the subject of heat sinks for NVME drives in general.) It's clear to me that some drives will throttle during benchmarks if a heat sink is not employed. And I'm happy that Dell saw fit to add a heat sink for the rive in my XPS-13 (even though the OE drive is dog slow. :rolleyes: ) But I wonder if these drives will throttle during typical (desktop) operation.

As to the original question, I can't really add anything to what has already been suggested.

from my experiences- when the m.2 drives are not being written to, they run within a few 'C of what sata drives do. When you are doing quite a bit of writes, they can start to get rather hot. In my Skull Canyon NUC, they would run hot enough to make the cpu about 5'C hotter. I added a small ram heatsink of about 1/3x3/4x1/3 with heat tape and it helped immensely. If you have a bit of sinking and some airflow, temps have always been manageable for me to keep them from throttling.

Back