• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M$ Access scripting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David

Forums Super Moderator
As part of my computing course at school, I have to do a 60hr projrct.

I was planning on creating a C++ frontend to a mysql database, but due to limits on what hardware and software are available/allowed in school (Windows 95/98/2k PCs and Windows NT/2k servers; PCs all having MS Office, and disallowing DOS CLI based programs) I have decided to develop a database system using Microsoft access.

Having only just played with MS Access a bit, I have a few questions:

I beleive Visual Basic is the scripting language:
a) is this the same as the stand alone Visual Basic?
b) is this easy to learn and start using?
c) Any tutorials on using VB to access MS databases?

Can this be run as a stand alone program, or does MS Access need to be installed to run it?

Does anyone know of any tutorials on MS Access available on line? Preferably ones that start with the basics and cover the more advanced stuff, such as relations etc.

Thanks for any help you can give me,

David

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
VB for Applications is included with Access as I recall and is very similar to regular VB, with the exception that it can't create .exes.

Any programs it compiles must be run in the compatible app.

I am learning this on the job myself, so I can't be too much help:( BUT.....if you are used to generic sql scripting you should be able to pick it up fairly quickly, I think: Access runs code that is based on MS's version of SQL for the most part.

As far as online tutorials etc, I haven't really looked too much- I've been getting most of my help from the boss at work;)

I do have some knowledge and saved code though, so if there is something I might be able to help with, let me know and I'll try.
No promises though:)

XWRed1

Wait, why can't you run mysql? I've never done it in Windows, but I would think its not a strictly text-based application. It should be some sort of system service.

OP
David

David

Forums Super Moderator
XWRed1 said:
Wait, why can't you run mysql? I've never done it in Windows, but I would think its not a strictly text-based application. It should be some sort of system service.

I actually have MySQL running on the Win95 PC I use. But I want the ability to do things such as print actual documents, ie: allow fonts and graphics, for what I am probably going to implement.

My orginal plan was a C++ frontend and MySQL backend.

David

Krieger

Yeah VB for apps is alot like a stripped down version of vb. Unforantly there are alot of things missing from it unless you get the developer's version of msOffice. If you are willing to use VB in MSaccess why not go full tilt and just build a VB app. You can use an ODBC data source linked to your mySql database. Sounds alot easier than doing it in Access. Plus you will have all of VB's functionality available to you, instead of a castrated version.