• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M$ Strong Armed Dell to Drop Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've mandrake 8.1 Installed on the following with no problems thus far

Duron900/GF3/Netgear NIC/Pioneer DVD/AC97 Onboard sound/LS 120 Drive

Pentium233/Voodoo3 3000/Realtek NIC/Samsung CD-Rom/SB AWE64/Floppy

Pretty diverse both fully working installs with no hardware problems.

Working on installing RedHat 7.2 on a Xeon 400 PII/PCI Rendition Verite/Network Anywhere NIC/No sound/56x CD-Rom

J :cool:

Last edited:
Ebola said:
nihili if you have an old dell pentium 2 or some archaic crap like that then it should install pretty easy. I just put mandrake 8 on a dell p2 300mhz computer. its pretty nice since it runs a lot faster than the windows 95 install that was previously on this machine.

also if your using mandrake then go to their webpage and check on hardware compatibility.

linux is getting more user friendly. I added my nic after my install and set up the card with harddrake. I thought it was going to be a pain but it went pretty smooth.

Actually my most recent failures were a Dell and an IBM, both P133 with old NICs in them. Other than that they were stock. I'm thinking I may try Mandrake 8.2 on one of them in a few weeks. If Mandrake 8.1 choked on a machine, what's the chance that 8.2 won't?

nihili

nihili said:

**snip**

If a computer literate PhD with more than 20 years of computer use on at least 10 different OS's can't get Linux up and running on a normal machine within 5 days of trying, the Linux isn't ready for prime time. Period. End of story.

**snip**

nihili

What more needs to be said? Get the message, guys.!!!:D

Cooler666 said:

just a quick question, can i install any Windows application if i have Wine like Winamp, Nero...?
For the most part yes, but why would you install winamp when you have XMMS ? Which is a Linux port basically of Winamp.

J :cool:

It varies depending on the machine and the flavor of linux. Sometimes it freezes, sometimes it installs but won't recognize a crucial piece of hardware. Sometimes it installs but then won't let me use the RPMs for installing other stuff (Mandrake and Redhat). The best I've ever done was to get an install that seemed to work ok, but then be unable to get the web servers to works. Since the whole point of that machine was to be a web server, I count that as a failure.

I don't know dude.... seems like you are just one of those unlucky people or something.

To have the installer freezing I would look at hardware first, because thats usually the culprit for those things. I.e., overheating cpu, bad ram, etc.

Not recognizing a crucial peice of hardware... sounds like a driver thing to me.... I've got lots of hardware that Windows wouldn't pick up out of the box, but thats no fault of Windows per se.

Not getting a web server to run... sounds like more bad luck or bad hardware. I mean, how much is there to go wrong? Did it segfault every time you wanted to run it?

It varies depending on the machine and the flavor of linux. Sometimes it freezes, sometimes it installs but won't recognize a crucial piece of hardware. Sometimes it installs but then won't let me use the RPMs for installing other stuff (Mandrake and Redhat). The best I've ever done was to get an install that seemed to work ok, but then be unable to get the web servers to works. Since the whole point of that machine was to be a web server, I count that as a failure.

I don't know dude.... seems like you are just one of those unlucky people or something.

To have the installer freezing I would look at hardware first, because thats usually the culprit for those things. I.e., overheating cpu, bad ram, etc.

Not recognizing a crucial peice of hardware... sounds like a driver thing to me.... I've got lots of hardware that Windows wouldn't pick up out of the box, but thats no fault of Windows per se.

Not getting a web server to run... sounds like more bad luck or bad hardware. I mean, how much is there to go wrong? Did it segfault every time you wanted to run it?

Besides these points, I'll agree with you that Linux isn't ready for primetime, and its a bad idea to just blindly push it on people, especially if they are the AOL using, Bonzi-Buddy loving types.

Back