• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mac share grew after W7 debut...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Now, dont look too much into this as the data used only has W7 available to the public for about 10 days...while the MAC OS has been available throughout the month of course.

I somehow thought Linux would be more than 1%... :confused:

If Microsoft (MSFT) was hoping that the launch of Windows 7 would halt the erosion of its operating system market share — and curb further inroads by Apple (AAPL) — there is no evidence that it's working yet.

In fact, preliminary data released overnight Sunday by Net Applications show Mac OS X's Internet share growing by 2.73% in October, from 5.12% to 5.26%.

http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/11/01/mac-share-grew-after-windows-7-debut/

Depends where your taking your figures from mostly. With a forum sample of over 14 million visits, Linux makes up over 3% of the visits.

Here? I think that is low also IMHO..especially having an 'enthusiast' type crowd (or I suppose that is the crowd that stays)...

Interesting.

But...if they are touting a 2.73% growth over the month, check out Windows 7 growth in the same time frame:

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/rep...qpcustom=Windows+7&qpsp=3911&qpnp=47&sample=7

Windows 7 alone has went up 212% and is over 3% of the market in itself. Of course it is expected at launch to go up quickly and the vast majority of users will just be switching from previous versions of Windows. I'll be interested to see the figures in another 90 days or so.

Yep.

I guess Im just a bit disappointed at CNN.com for publishing this article with such a tiny cross section of information...

Comments on that article make me cry a little inside...such as this gem:

I read these comments and laugh at nearly all of them. I have used all versions of Windows, all Mac OSs, and various distros of Linux. I have never had a problem with the actual OSs. All the problems I have ever had with any computer has always come down to hardware and drivers. If you understand how to interface with the OSs in a decent manner and stay away from stuff you don't understand, you typically won't have a problem either.

Yes, I do prefer Macs because of less hardware issues. You do truly get what you pay for. Apple has done a wonderful job building their machines to fit their OS. That is where Windows and Linux fall short. The OS tries to fit a plethora of hardware and hardware that is shoddily manufactured.

Technically the first part of the comment is true as since Apple has complete control with hardware and software, they're bound to have less hardware issues. However, I do think that Microsoft has done a very good job minimizing hardware issues. Things were a lot worse in the Win95/98 days than they are now, and most manufacturers have realized that streamlined standards benefit everyone.

Of course, what the writer sees as a curse I see as a blessing since I would prefer to choose the exact components I want in a computer, rather than paying a huge markup for a box that uses basically the same thing but has an aura of being 'something better'.

I agree with Earthdog's comments. I smell a bias in the writing. Why write this article now? W7 has barely been released. I don't see .25% as newsworthy. I believe W7 is being warmly received. I'm not buying W7, but I think most current microsoft users will.

Apple's are beautifully engineered. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of OS X. It's just as proprietary as Microsoft, but without the flexibility. But you can't overstate the fact that they make gorgeous products that work well. But it's hard to sit down after paying for one, and they don't even kiss you first.

Even if Linux is only 1%, I'm impressed that Linux even gets mention in articles like this. Linux is the Great Recycler for me. I've literally pulled computers out of the trash, loaded linux and gave them away to my friends that don't have computers. My GF's XP laptop... An old Toshiba Sattelite P4 2.4g with 512 of RAM... was unusable with XP. It now runs Debian like a champ.

But I realize that most people actually don't enjoy spending 4 hours configuring a linux box. Go figure? :shrug: it's a hobby for me.

But I realize that most people actually don't enjoy spending 4 hours configuring a linux box. Go figure? :shrug: it's a hobby for me.

But thats the thing I like about Linux

It took 20mins to :

- Download latest Ubuntu CD
- Burn to disk
- Install and get to a useable desktop

It takes at least 30mins to install any version of Windows, just from a CD, to a very basic desktop.

But thats the thing I like about Linux

It took 20mins to :

- Download latest Ubuntu CD
- Burn to disk
- Install and get to a useable desktop

It takes at least 30mins to install any version of Windows, just from a CD, to a very basic desktop.

That's step 1 for me. :)

I then spend another several hours customizing just the way I like it, with all the applications and games I want for that particular machine.

That's step 1 for me. :)

I then spend another several hours customizing just the way I like it, with all the applications and games I want for that particular machine.

Same thing with a fresh windows install - it takes some time to install all the apps and get things the way you want it. Except most of the software your either purchasing or stealing. And with windows your downloading your software from various 3rd party websites which host installation files and try to categorize them consistently, and with linux you just use the built in package manager and you don't have to worry about it being trialware/shareware/garbageware.

Just horses of a different color. Both still horses.

Or just script an automated install with nlite or Vlite....which Im sure can be done in a different way with Linux releases.

Never used nlite, tho I've used sysprep to automate the windows portion.

Does nlite automate 3rd party application installations it sounds like? That's kinda nice, tho I imagine it would take some time to setup for each app - probably worth it tho.

With Arch Linux, you can backup a list of all installed applications and your home directory. When you reinstall, you just need to configure your networking, restore the backed up list of installed applications, and issue the command:

#pacman -Syu

That will download and install everything for you, with minimal/no prompts. Restore the home directory, and all your application settings come back too.

Depends on your package manager for other distros, but they all can do basically the same thing. This is one area where Linux kills windows. It benefits a lot from overwhelming consistency in how applications are downloaded, installed, and how their settings are stored.

Never used nlite, tho I've used sysprep to automate the windows portion.

Does nlite automate 3rd party application installations it sounds like? That's kinda nice, tho I imagine it would take some time to setup for each app - probably worth it tho.

Nlite is for XP and Vlite is for Vista, I haven't checked for a Win 7 compatible one yet.

You can slipstream anything into the install, drivers, programs, games, etc. I have an XP disc for everything, a Bench disc with just super Pi and Copy Wazaa (90MB total) a cut down one with just Firefox capability (pre-installed LAN drivers of course) and a couple others.

Nlite/Vlite are awesome and save the repeated 2-3 hours it takes me to get all the applications and things set up properly. Just have to do it once and spend about 1 hour making a new OS disc (I use flash drives for fast install though)

I saw some Mac commercial that made me want to throw something. They're just so darn snooty. They were talking about old versions of Windows and saying 7 is just the same. Pfft, Mac is just an OS now that comes with the privilege of paying WAY too much for the same darn hardware. Hope MS fires back.

Nlite is for XP and Vlite is for Vista, I haven't checked for a Win 7 compatible one yet.

You can slipstream anything into the install, drivers, programs, games, etc. I have an XP disc for everything, a Bench disc with just super Pi and Copy Wazaa (90MB total) a cut down one with just Firefox capability (pre-installed LAN drivers of course) and a couple others.

Nlite/Vlite are awesome and save the repeated 2-3 hours it takes me to get all the applications and things set up properly. Just have to do it once and spend about 1 hour making a new OS disc (I use flash drives for fast install though)
Exactly! :beer:

Vlite can be used with W7... but you have to dump XXX file from the WAIK kit to XXXX location etc.

Elitist snobery at the ut-most is what I see from the article and from Apple.

Sure their system is stable now, but I remember when the little mac 1meg's were in all the college computer labs and just surfing the net you had to reboot about every 2nd or 3rd page, and nobody in the mac world can remember that far back. But I can't say for sure that it was the OS's fault, as Netscrape Navigator was crap too at that time. After using the computers in the labs at my local community college, the only thing I learned really well was where the re-set button was on a mac. :screwy:

I do own an Imac....it is in the back yard...I go out and kik it once in a while, and then I feel better and go back happily to my PC.
To me, having a Mac in your house is like having a few "sharper image" or "Sky Mall" magazines on the coffee table...to show people that you are important. Beh
IMHO, the Mac OS is not as slick as say win7 is or even vista....but I haven't seen many macs lately so I have no real opinion on Leopard.
Still can't do much gaming on a mac although their market share is getting better in that regard.
I still am of the mindset that a mac is like a Mazeratti and for me it would be like driving a mazeratti on a muddy dirt road.
And besides, Mac's are too pretty to be off roading with and I don't care if my "rig" has mud all over it and the scratches are badges of honor.
Did you notice that I stopped just short of saying that Mac's Svck?
Hey! I just realized that I'm a PC snob. :cool:
I also agree that I have used every ver of windows except Vista all the way back to windows 286, and drivers is was the only real problem in implementing Windows systems, and except for Millenium Edition all were rock stable for me, and so far Win2k was the most usable in my experience.
In the Commercial, when the guy says "I'm a Mac" the other guy should say "my condolences" :beer:

Elitist snobery at the ut-most is what I see from the article and from Apple.

Sure their system is stable now, but I remember when the little mac 1meg's were in all the college computer labs and just surfing the net you had to reboot about every 2nd or 3rd page, and nobody in the mac world can remember that far back. But I can't say for sure that it was the OS's fault, as Netscrape Navigator was crap too at that time. After using the computers in the labs at my local community college, the only thing I learned really well was where the re-set button was on a mac. :screwy:

I do own an Imac....it is in the back yard...I go out and kik it once in a while, and then I feel better and go back happily to my PC.
To me, having a Mac in your house is like having a few "sharper image" or "Sky Mall" magazines on the coffee table...to show people that you are important. Beh
IMHO, the Mac OS is not as slick as say win7 is or even vista....but I haven't seen many macs lately so I have no real opinion on Leopard.
Still can't do much gaming on a mac although their market share is getting better in that regard.
I still am of the mindset that a mac is like a Mazeratti and for me it would be like driving a mazeratti on a muddy dirt road.
And besides, Mac's are too pretty to be off roading with and I don't care if my "rig" has mud all over it and the scratches are badges of honor.
Did you notice that I stopped just short of saying that Mac's Svck?
Hey! I just realized that I'm a PC snob. :cool:
I also agree that I have used every ver of windows except Vista all the way back to windows 286, and drivers is was the only real problem in implementing Windows systems, and except for Millenium Edition all were rock stable for me, and so far Win2k was the most usable in my experience.
In the Commercial, when the guy says "I'm a Mac" the other guy should say "my condolences" :beer:

Too many points here to break the post apart, but I have to say, that I agree completely. I haven't touched anything Apple in a few years. Why? MS has served me very well over the years. That commercial that says, I'm not going to have the same problems that Vista/XP/Me and so on had, is utter garbage and lies. Not counting Millenium, every version of Windows I can remember using was an improvement over the previous. Every OS has its quirks, especially right after release, but MS has been doing quite well with getting those things taken care of. I don't own an iPod, since the RCA MP3 player I have does exactly what I need it to do (play music while on the go or on the job), for a very small fraction of the price, considering I bought it 4 years ago, and the Apple offering was ridiculously priced,IMO. I don't own an iPhone, because I think they are beyond overpriced and nowhere near what people pay for them. My BlackBerry does everything I need, and again, at a fraction of the price. I don't use my phone to make sure I hung a picture level, I have a level for that. I don't use my phone to play games, I have a PS3 and a computer for that, my phone isn't a photo album, or a way to access YouTube (although it can do both). I didn't like the feel of any OS from Apple, and no matter how many times it is said, not every problem with any version of Windows is the fault of MS. It's not because of MS that manufacturers decide not to update drivers for the newest offering from MS, or that game developers may be slow to release a patch for the newer OS, or that the average Joe is not smart enough to look at the system requirements before trying to install Vista Ultimate x64 on a Pentium 2 rig (I actually had a client try to do it).

I actually think Apple is pushing too far, and is now just getting to the point that all of their advertisements are lies and slander. There is a good reason Win7 is being welcomed so warmly.

And back to the topic of this thread, 10 days on the market is in no way ample time to show a market segment. I would be willing to bet that if the same type of article is written a year from now, the numbers will be hugely different. If you compare something that has been on the market for a month, and compare the market segment to something that has been out for 10 days, of course the one that has been around longer is going to have the higher market segment. The article just sounds too biased for my liking.

Depends where your taking your figures from mostly. With a forum sample of over 14 million visits, Linux makes up over 3% of the visits.

I'm trying to stop using Windows on my laptop. Maybe I can improve that statistic for you :)

Sounds like what I experienced at the end of the 90's. Friend living in the same apartment bought a really expensive mac. It would crash frequently, while my computer running NT 4 was amazingly stable. Not that NT allowed you to do so much in those days...

LOL

I don't know what you mean by slick, but personally I feel like banging my head against the table when I use Windows. It's almost like using a Symbian S60 phone (not quite as bad though), every time you do something you wonder why it's done like that (I have not used win7 at all, and vista very little).

Different tools to get the job done. I got a mac with my current job about 4 years ago. When I heard I was getting a mac I was really angry, remembering my previous bad experiences. For the first month I was fighting against it and asked for a desktop to run Linux on the side. But after a month I started to forget the "windows work flow" and now prefer osx by far.

Back