• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Machine turning on by itself at night...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Banyan

Hey,
I have had my machine turn on by itself several times while I was crashed out in bed in the wee hours... I've heard of issues such as this with a Gigabyte board, which was fixed with a BIOS update, but after looking, have found no issues like it for mine. The board is an MSI K7T266 Pro2a, and I have not had the slightest problem with it ('til now). If any of you know of any issues with this board that can cause such a thing to occur, please let me know. Thx in advance...

Last edited:
What the problem is, is that your rig wants to run Folding@Home 24/7. Watch what it does when it fires itself up next time...see if it's trying to download the Folding client...:p

Seriously...that is kinda strange. Is it doing this several times in one night, or once a night for several nights? If it's once a night, is it the same time every night??

B.

WOL is disabled... and this has happened a few times, weeks apart from each other. Some strange things going on here the past week, but I am definitely not the superstitious guy.

Make sure there isn't anything in the BIOS that has it wake up at a certain time. Along with that, disconnect the network cable and modem if you have one.

I read this on the forum some wear. Set an mp3 to go off when it starts up so you can hear it in the middle of the night. Record the times and maybe see if there's a pattern. Take it from there.

Another possibility:

We had this problem in a few PCs we sold where I used to work. Each time it was the PSU that was at fault. Might want to check that/test with another if avail.

hmm in the meantime, if its really getting annoying, you could always unplug the psu and just plug it in when you need to use it.

You don't happen to have that on any type of UPS back-up power supply do you? Just a thought but a small surge from an air water softener or another large appliance on the same circuit breaker can cause some strange things with electronics.

If not that, it is probably like Dark Disciple said, the Pixie fairies do stuff like that. :D

get a young preist and an old preist

jk

it could be something with the psu

reason behind that is

i know when ever the power goes out here and comes back on my mobo kicks on

mabey your psu is getting ready to go and going out just a millisecond tricking the mobo to boot up

This is also one of many annoying symptoms of my sisters laptop. I suspect that her motherboard is dying because it also wouldn't recognize the PCMCIA card that I wanted to install.

As for your case, I recommend testing your machine with another PSU (as stated by others). If that doesn't help, blame your motherboard then get a new one.

Back