• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

:mad: Crappy 2.4B from newegg :mad:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oops

damn it,
I just got one 2.4B from newegg to replace my [email protected], I was hoping to hit 3GHZ, so it would worth to replace the 2.547GHZ

And that's what happened,

first

It's definatly NOT that so called C1 stepping. Code SL6D7. Stepping ID in WCPUID is "4".

AND...

It cannot even run 2.8GHZ stable!!!!!!

Now I am running at 2780MHZ, and still testing see if it's stable!

NOTE here: I am not a newbie to OC, so I've tried everything execpt vmod.

I've tried fixed AGP and PCI clock, and also tried cpu ratio 1 : 1 and used slowest memory timming, and highest voltage ---- +15% for CPU, 2.7V for RAM. ALL USELESS!!!!

Another NOTE here: my mobo is Abit BD7II-Raid, 1x512MB Corsair Xtrm PC3200.

I am so now. Compare to that "I got a C1 step I think" guy 's [email protected] at 1.66v, my cpu is crap!

I'll contiune try. Maybe do a vmod later.

I just want you guys know, NOT all 2.4B can do that 3.1GHZ at 1.66v.

So don't get too excited when you see someone's 3.1GHZ

OP
oops

oops

update news,

I just did vmod, i did pin4 and 3. So the default voltage shows was 1.63V. Now it shows this 2.4B is a piece of crap. I added 15% voltage which is 1.89V now, the system keeps crashing on the way booting or after booted into windows. Finally it got into windows with 2.889GHZ now. Haven't really tested the stablity yet. The idle temp. is already 47*C for both CPU and mobo.

I am so bad luck

OP
oops

oops

just like i thought, it's not stable at all at 2.889GHZ with 1.89V. The PCmark crashed when running. Trying lower now.

residentevil2

Disabled
i wouldnt raise the voltage to much on the cpu or you wont even see the day of 2.7 anymore. remember the p4 die from high voltage.
dont u think 47c is kinda high for a p4 lol i mean common most athlons on air get around thier.

Also the pentium 4 slows down when pushed at high speeds so u might wanna try to cool it better

OP
oops

oops

that 2.7 is for RAM voltage, not cpu.

The cpu is below 1.9V.

As i metioned, I got this 2.4B to replace my [email protected]. That 1.8A is total stable that speed, with about 60*C. So 47*C is really nothing, but that 47*C is idle temperature, which means = crazy.

also, you are right about the performance drops when cpu goes too high. I just ran the test at 2.8GHZ with PCmark2002, both CPU and RAM got a little above 6500 points, TOO LOW! My [email protected] gets 6300 points for CPU, 6200 for RAM.

I got one bad 2.4B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .......from newegg

Buzzdog

oops,

Did newegg guarntee that you were ordering a C1 stepping PIV? I just checked and there is no mention to what stepping CPU you will get when you order. So you sitting here and flaming newegg is mute. You ordered a 2.4b from them and that is what you got. Also, since you are not an OC newb then you should know that alot of it boils down to luck as to what kind of CPU you get. So you think I got my panties in a bunch when my sl68x malay 1.8 would not do anything above 150fsb?? Nope, I just chalked it up as a decent OC for a 1.8, 2.7 GHz is not to shabby. Also, please do not make a seperate thread on this forum just linking to this thread, bad taste....very bad taste.

Buzzdog

OP
oops

oops

Buzzdog said:
oops,

Did newegg guarntee that you were ordering a C1 stepping PIV? I just checked and there is no mention to what stepping CPU you will get when you order. So you sitting here and flaming newegg is mute. You ordered a 2.4b from them and that is what you got. Also, since you are not an OC newb then you should know that alot of it boils down to luck as to what kind of CPU you get. So you think I got my panties in a bunch when my sl68x malay 1.8 would not do anything above 150fsb?? Nope, I just chalked it up as a decent OC for a 1.8, 2.7 GHz is not to shabby. Also, please do not make a seperate thread on this forum just linking to this thread, bad taste....very bad taste.

Buzzdog

The first thread had a nonsense name, and it wouldn't let me delete it, so i had to delete all the stuff in there, and put link of this one into it.

second, my 1.8A can do a 700MHZ+ OC, and this 2.4B can only do 300MHZ+?? On the same mobo with same RAM???? I wasn't complaint about it's not a C1, that's really not important, but the OC performance is really bad shape compare to others' 2.4B and my own 1.8A. Yes, 2.7GHZ isn't bad, but you need to see where it was started.

Your 1.8A is good enough already. 1.8A has 100fsb, and you want 150fsb???? That's a 900MHZ OC, 50%??? And you said it's decent. All I was hoping to reach 3GHZ with 2.4B, that's only a 600MHZ OC, and it only gives me a 300MHZ OC WITH Vmod, bad or not??

One more thing, please be friendly next time.

Last edited:

lutjens

Overclocking is all luck of the draw. Some CPU's do well, so do crappy. Overclocking is by no means guaranteed, and while most CPU's do well, there are always some duds that can't go much beind their design speed.

If you want a CPU that works at a guaranteed speed, buy the higher speed grade.:)

One can buy wisely though and the closer the CPU you buy is to the fastest CPU, the better yields you'll get on your parts (speed binning rolls downhill).

Personally, I'd have insisted on the C1 stepping. When I buy a retail CPU, I call ahead and they go through the stock, looking for the exact S-spec that represents the newest stepping. Never buy a CPU without verification of the S-spec over the phone, or verifying it with your own eyes.

Divine-Madcat

Registered
You can do that at Newegg? How?? You cant even order over the phone..... maybe at other stores.. but not there....

doormat

Welcome to the club. I bought a 2.4B from newegg a few weeks ago, its only stable at 150Mhz fsb (around 2.7GGhz). And I still get crashes when my room gets warm (85F). It sucks, I payed $200 to move up from my 2.4 (1.6A) chip. I'm holding out until prescott. :(

OP
oops

oops

jdmcnudgent said:
buddie, i feel your pain.:( my 2.4b was oem and did 159 fsb on default voltage, it sucks that you got screwed. not everything is guaranteed.:( gave it up to my buddie too, for $180.:p

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess what?

First, I've never done Vmod on that 1.8A. Since this new 2.4B is so disapointed me, I just did Vmod to 1.8A and put it back in.

And....the 1.8A reach 2.745GHZ with 1.87V. with 3:4 ratio, RAM is at 406MHZ DDR, with 2-6-3-3(pretty good RAM, right?)
I wouldn't waste money on that 2.4B if I know this 1.8A can do so high with Vmod, even the 2.4B really can reach 3.0GHZ, only about 250MHZ more wouldn't make me waste $189 to buy another processor. Besides, this crappy 2.4B can only reach about the same as the 1.8A, just a little cooler.

What do you guys think? Shall I keep the 1.8A or 2.4B?

I know it will waste me a lot of $ if I sell the processor alone, I am thinking about buying other parts and put up a completed system and then sell it, if not making any money, at least i can get my $ back.

Your thoughs?

residentevil2

Disabled
i would keep one as a spare like i said i can see the day when ur cpu dies a voltage death.

I mean i see alot of p4's die on voltages like that im only suggesting to keep ur 2.4 as a spare just in case

OP
oops

oops

residentevil2 said:
i would keep one as a spare like i said i can see the day when ur cpu dies a voltage death.

I mean i see alot of p4's die on voltages like that im only suggesting to keep ur 2.4 as a spare just in case

come on, I know this option has its good reason.

but, I am a student without a job(I am a foreign student, so it's illegal to work here, and I depend on the checks from my dear mom, so I don't want to waste any $.)

Besides, this crappy 2.4B requires about the same voltage to reach about the same speed as this 1.8A with only a little cooler temperature. And you should know how I feel.....once I "tasted" one speed, I'll never want to have something below it:) Also, my original purpose to buy this 2.4B was hoping to join 3GHZ club:) And I failed... and I still want to give another shot later with higher speed processors such as 2.66GHZ or above, so i must have the $ back. The only option to do so is to sell one of my CPUs.

micamica1217

some peps keep there cpu at 1.8v or higher...yet I would lower your voltage to 1.75v for long term use.

I'll bet it will fall to 2.6ghz more or less and you wont notice the speed differance....and it will last a lot longer.

good luck
edit: I'm talking about your 1.8a cpu...get rid of the 2.4
mica

Last edited:
OP
oops

oops

micamica1217 said:

some peps keep there cpu at 1.8v or higher...yet I would lower your voltage to 1.75v for long term use.

I'll bet it will fall to 1.6ghz more or less and you wont notice the speed differance....and it will last a lot longer.

I do notice a difference from 1.8A stock speed to the speed I have now. It's no big deal if I only use something like Word or web brower, but I do a lot of other things. Also higher speed makes me feel better:D

micamica1217 said:

good luck
edit: I'm talking about your 1.8a cpu...get rid of the 2.4
mica

That's what I was thinking---keep the 1.8A for now.

But, since I've opened the box, even though it only has being powered up for 6 hours, it's not worth the original price any more if I sell it alone(even brand new sealed ones on auction cannot expect to sell as the same price in store).

Do you think it's a good idea for me to buy rest of the parts and put up a completed system then sell it on ebay or Yahoo Auction?

Buzzdog

oops,

First of all, I did not mean to come across soo negative. I am not suprised though that you are only getting real close to the same end speed with the 2.4b. It has the same multiplier as your 1.8. I would strongly recomemend that you drop that voltage down on your cpu though. The rule of thumb for the northwoods is no more then 1.75 actual. I am holding out for the 2.26 c1 steppings to become readily available, it will be the lowest multiplier that intel will be offering.

BTW, I am happy with my 1.8 running 2.7, the comparison I was making was that it was a hand picked sl68x malay chip, others have gotten over 3Ghz with the same stock. I paid a little extra to get that chip but it will not go over 150 fsb no matter the voltage I put to it. I have tried it in my IT7 board and 150fsb is the max. It is a good fit though for my Gigabyte board. If you are looking for total overclock over stock you will usually get best results with a (a) chip since they start at 100fsb. You also have to remember that almost all of the northwoods are basically the same core with different multipliers. You 2.4b started with a 33mhz head start over your 1.8(a).

Once again, sorry if you took me the wrong way, you just have to remember that alot of it has to do with the luck of the draw.

Buzzdog

micamica1217

oops said:

I do notice a difference from 1.8A stock speed to the speed I have now. It's no big deal if I only use something like Word or web brower, but I do a lot of other things. Also higher speed makes me feel better:D

That's what I was thinking---keep the 1.8A for now.

But, since I've opened the box, even though it only has being powered up for 6 hours, it's not worth the original price any more if I sell it alone(even brand new sealed ones on auction cannot expect to sell as the same price in store).

Do you think it's a good idea for me to buy rest of the parts and put up a completed system then sell it on ebay or Yahoo Auction?

oops, I made a mistake...I meant 2.6ghz or slightly higher at 1.75v

I would try to sell just the cpu...maybe you'll get lucky and come close to the perchace price.

good luck

mica