• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Made the mistake of not buying the turbo...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cullam3n

I bought the regular Albatron Ti4200P, and I'm regretting I didn't wait a week to pull out a few extra bucks to get to get the Turbo. The memory sucks major donkey. It froze at 550 while playing Counter-Strike. Right now mine is at 275/513. Grr... Well, at least the improvement is noticeable from a PCI 32mb MX200!

Let that be a warning... And listen to Kato! :D

-PC

Kato

Addicted Tweaker
Didn't I tell you the Turbo version is da-bomb?!;)

Joking, but that 4ns really suck....is it Hyrnix? Probably not, since most Hyrnix ram will go over 600. And I suspect that the reason why the Turbo version can go over 700 in ram isn't entirely based on the 3.3ns ram too, Asus's 8420 Deluex got it too, but I rarely see any of them went over 700. I think the major advantage of the Ti4200P Turbo(and SUMA) is it use the same PCB as the Ti4600, 8 layers instead of 6 layers for the normal Ti4200. It provide the ram with more stable voltage, thus making them more overclockable.

Kato

Addicted Tweaker
MSI, ABIT, GAINWARD, LEADTEK and PNY are all good, nobody knows Albatron before the Ti4200P Turbo(They are known for making LCD display). As for the R8500, I think ATI makes the most overclockable card.

Cullam3n: Yeah, Gainward use those samsung ram in their Ti4200(Power Pack Golden Sample) too, and the ram isn't good at all...sorry buddy:(

Last edited:

Kato

Addicted Tweaker
If you really need to buy a card today, I would recommend the MSI or Abit, although their card can't compare to the Albatron Turbo, but they still OC very well, and their price is in the low range of Ti4200 too.

Kosmic

Kato, just curious... When did you buy your Turbo? I still can't get my memory anywhere close to 690.

I just installed the 40.72 detonator drivers and I'm running 3D Mark at 305/655 right now. So far it's not tearing in the truck chase where I usually see it if my OC is too high. Maybe these new 40.72 detonator drivers are what I was needing......

Anynow, I wonder if something has changed slightly in their manufacturing, 'cause I see others at newegg also whining (just like me) that they can't OC their albatron turbos very high. I'd like to RMA this and try my luck at receiving a better overclocker. We'll see if newegg accepts my reasons of "artifacts in games even when not overclocked" ;-) I doubt they'd accept an RMA because "it doesn't overclock high enough for me" (waaaahhhh) "Other people OC up to 315/690 right out of the box but I can't" (waaaahhhh)

LOL... I know how sad my attitude is. There are dozens of peeps on this board who's ti4200s (pick a brand) can't OC even close to 305/655. But still, I wanna OC like Kato! :D

K1

Kato

Addicted Tweaker
I'm not aware of any revision changes to the card...I bought the card on Oct 14.
Keep in mind that the temp in my area is around 10-15C now, between 0-10C at nite, and my room temp is constantly at around 15-20C, so the cooler temp helped me in OCing. But when I was clocking the ram at 690, my room temp was like 22C.
Every card is different, you may think I got lucky and got a good one, but the one my friend are using is clocked at 343/720, so you can see, his is better than mine:(

Anyways, For AMD system, W2K with sp2, along with 40.52 is the fastest combo for 3Dmark.:beer:

Last edited:

Kosmic

Hmmm, well I'm not so much after super 3dmark scores (although I'm close to 13K now...) as I am just knowing that I've OC'd the wee outta this card. :D I'm using 3dmark as my 60 second indicator of whether the card can handle where I have it. If it doesn't tear up on the first test, I let it run and check my score just for fun. ;)

I'm running win2k & sp2. I didn't know 40.52 was the one to get. I figured "newer is better." I was hoping the newer drivers would help my OC a bit. I'm getting kinda bored with driver changes & tweaking tonight. Maybe I'll just run it at 305/655 for a while and see if i can RMA IT. The computer room is pretty cold these days as I don't heat it and we've had several sub 0c nights lately.

K1