• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

magic bubbles that apear out of no where!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R.Rabbit

ok so i thought i had my system all but rid of bubbles by turning on and off my pump to force the bubbles out the T fill/bleed thingy, and so i just leave the pump on, figuring the rest of the bubbles will find their way out as usually, but for some reason when i leave my pump on, the water level in my fill/bleed tube just rises and there is visibly more bubbles!! WTF! i could imagine if there was a leak but the water isnt going anywhere! where are these bubbles coming from!? oh and in 5 minutes the water level raises by about 2 inches
so if anybody has a clue to what this is, help me out!
thanks

felinusz

Senior Overclocking Magus
It sounds like some kind of micro leak - maybe such smal amounts of water are escaping that you aren't npticing where they are coming from.

It may also just be your additive foaming - lots of additives foam for a while as the system bleeds itself - try leaving it on (with your computer off) for a while.

Suma

R.Rabbit said:
ok so i thought i had my system all but rid of bubbles by turning on and off my pump to force the bubbles out the T fill/bleed thingy, and so i just leave the pump on, figuring the rest of the bubbles will find their way out as usually, but for some reason when i leave my pump on, the water level in my fill/bleed tube just rises and there is visibly more bubbles!! WTF! i could imagine if there was a leak but the water isnt going anywhere! where are these bubbles coming from!? oh and in 5 minutes the water level raises by about 2 inches
so if anybody has a clue to what this is, help me out!
thanks

"...but for some reason when i leave my pump on, the water level in my fill/bleed tube just rises and there is visibly more bubbles!! "

Do you use a cap for your T-line?
It happend to me without the cap.

junkymagi

Sounds like air is getting into your loop through a hole too small to allow water out. Probably close to your pump's intake because of the vacuum caused by the pump's operation.

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
junkymagi said:
Sounds like air is getting into your loop through a hole too small to allow water out. Probably close to your pump's intake because of the vacuum caused by the pump's operation.

Yep, ditto. It's most likely your pump sucking in air. This happened to me as well. Does your pump's intake have a hose clamp?

OP
R

R.Rabbit

yep i was thinking the same thing but i was leaning towards air coming in through the rotor chanber.... i think i'll stick a hose clamp on the intake and some more teflon tape for the threads too
thanks!

Suma

Check the pump's O-ring, and if you want you can always add some teflontape on the O-ring to secure the seal. That's what I did with the L30.

Suma.

ILikeMy240sx

R.Rabbit said:
yep i was thinking the same thing but i was leaning towards air coming in through the rotor chanber.... i think i'll stick a hose clamp on the intake and some more teflon tape for the threads too
thanks!

Yes that method plus sealing the impeller housing would be nice.

BTW, Suma I bleed my system without the cap on.... what exactly happened with your setup??

Suma

I guess air was leaking in and it was all foamy and the foam just popped out of the T-line. Use a cap. ;)

Have you seen my l33t cap?
DSCN2362.jpg

TheGhengisKhan

BANNED TROLL -Per Silversinksam
After putting my system back together after some re-routing, I'm also having this problem! Strange thing is though, with the cap on the T line, the water level slowly drops as the bubbles leave the water and enter the T and the water goes clear. The instant I unplug the T, the water level goes up, the lines fill with bubbles, and if I don't re-plug the T, it will go over the top of the T, which I have to say is actually about 2 1/2 feet long!

I know where the problem with mine is though. I didn't solder the barbs on my heatercore quite good enough, and apparently there's a small leak, that for some strange reason will let air in, but doesn't let water out. With the way this system is installed though, it would be a MAJOR pain in the butt to disconnect the core to patch up my solder job, so since it doesn't leak, I'm not going to worry about it. As long as it's sealed, there's no air in the lines, and it only takes about 2 minutes for those bubbles to disappear once I plug the T.

ILikeMy240sx

Ok now I get it... the reason why people get bubbles when t-line is unplugged. It's not because of the t-line it self but because somewhere in the loop it's sucking in air (due to improper seal) and when t-line is unplugged it lets air to enter the loop through the crack and water leve to be risen at T-line...

Korndog

is your tline before or after the pump??

i had air leaking into my system, but it was for another reason..
and i did have it capped..
when you turn on your pump, it creates pressure (uncapped as long as water level is high enough in your t-line).
When i turn on my pump, the water level goes down.
when i first got my waterblock, the barbs weren't in all the way there was a leak. but since my pump was creating negitive pressure, it wasn't leaking water, but was taken in air. At the same time, the tline was bleeding all the air out. As soon as i put on a cap on my T-line the block would leak in some air and then when the pump was switched off, pressure would force the water out, it was then i noticed a leak. when i tried it again with the cap off, it wouldn't leak.
kinda strange, but cool

blsnelling1

I experienced the same problem when I used a Mag5. I attributed it to the excess volume and pressure it was creating for my system. I just figured it was turbulence. I would only see the tiny bubbles coming out of the last block in the loop which was the GPU. I was also cooling the NB and CPU at the time. I'm running a Mag3 on a different system now and don't see the bubbles. What's of interest here is that the bubbles were not in the entire loop or after the pump. They were only between the GPU and the pump intake.

ILikeMy240sx

i think its kindda the other way around for me... This doesnt happen while the loop is bled but during bleeding, when i turn the pump off most bubbles are between the HC and the pump outout barb... but when im done bleeding no bubbles just suddenly appear...

blsnelling1

When I'm bleeding my system, I like to turn the pump off every few minutes because I always get a good size bubble out the pump housing. Of course this stops after all the air's bled out into the t-line.