• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Magic Jack - Who has used it ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtreme Barton

curious who has used this ? i hardly ever use home phone .. and was wondering if it was worth getting rid of current service to use one of these ..

From what I have heard, once you plug it in to your USB port, it starts to run in a way similar to the AOL virus. There was a thread on this thing a while back. I will see if I can find it. I don't use a landline for anything anymore, so I just don't have one.

Edit: HERE is one of the threads and another is HERE.

I have been using it for over 6 months now to talk to family back in the states. I have read about the adware/spyware, but I have not had any issues. I am not saying other people didn't, but it is fine on my wife's laptop.

As for the functionality, I can't beat it for $20 a year. ($40 for first year includes product). You do have to have the MagicJack plugged it to make or receive calls, but you can use a headset, or plug your phone into the jack. When traveling I just use my headset and the software on the jack, here in Germany I have my phone plugged into the jack just like it was a standard wall jack, but I don't leave it on all the time.

Another good function is I have it set to send an e-mail (with audio file) to me when I get a voicemail. This allows my family in the states to call it and leave voicemail, I get it on my iPhone and call them back. Not too bad in my opinion, easy to use and makes the family happy they have a way to reach us sometimes.

I have a friend who uses it as his only land line. He's had it about a year and he loves it. Your computer and internet connection must both be on all the time, though--I'm sure you knew that.

I have no problem sending or receiving calls from him and the quality is just like a regular phone.

I've been using Skype for my landline, and Google Voice for my phone number. Seems to work.

Back