• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Magic Jack - Who has used it ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtreme Barton

curious who has used this ? i hardly ever use home phone .. and was wondering if it was worth getting rid of current service to use one of these ..

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
From what I have heard, once you plug it in to your USB port, it starts to run in a way similar to the AOL virus. There was a thread on this thing a while back. I will see if I can find it. I don't use a landline for anything anymore, so I just don't have one.

Edit: HERE is one of the threads and another is HERE.

Headstand

I have been using it for over 6 months now to talk to family back in the states. I have read about the adware/spyware, but I have not had any issues. I am not saying other people didn't, but it is fine on my wife's laptop.

As for the functionality, I can't beat it for $20 a year. ($40 for first year includes product). You do have to have the MagicJack plugged it to make or receive calls, but you can use a headset, or plug your phone into the jack. When traveling I just use my headset and the software on the jack, here in Germany I have my phone plugged into the jack just like it was a standard wall jack, but I don't leave it on all the time.

Another good function is I have it set to send an e-mail (with audio file) to me when I get a voicemail. This allows my family in the states to call it and leave voicemail, I get it on my iPhone and call them back. Not too bad in my opinion, easy to use and makes the family happy they have a way to reach us sometimes.

mbigna

I have a friend who uses it as his only land line. He's had it about a year and he loves it. Your computer and internet connection must both be on all the time, though--I'm sure you knew that.

I have no problem sending or receiving calls from him and the quality is just like a regular phone.

Elif Tymes

I've been using Skype for my landline, and Google Voice for my phone number. Seems to work.