• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MAHUAHWHAHA Look what Arived 3 hours early at my Door step

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CandymanCan

Disabled
Man Im so happy to finally get an A64 system, Im ganna hook it all up so I'll be awhile, but i hope it overclocks really good. It has the CG revision and the same stepping that Nitro BOie has so i might just get 2.6ghz or more, not with stock cooling but when i get my waterblock :D.

The pics suck yea i have old cam but anyway :attn:

cpu_stepping.jpg

epox_board.jpg

mobo_pic_2.jpg

OP
CandymanCan

CandymanCan

Disabled
Im practicing putting the heatsink on, Im guessing it doesnt matter which direction its on ? Cuss it snaps in on both sides on the bracket .

Hehe yea i made that in my sig like 4 hours ago. I havent slept all night or all day yesturday or today and im not tired at all. I was about to have a heart attack waiting for my stuff. And i did overnight shipping 2 :cool:, i am very impatient

Last edited:

Awperator

I've had luck with only 1 way. I've installed the heatsinks on the K8V and the A8v, and I have put the ratchet mechanism on the side away from the power supply. The ratchet usually faces the PCI slots. If I put it the other way, the temps shoot up. Good luck, and welcome to the A64 club.

- Awperator

bradleyland

Registered
What kind of heatsink did you get? I'm considering giving my gf my A7N8X and some of my old hardware, then buying the exact same mobo and processor you just bought.

OP
CandymanCan

CandymanCan

Disabled
Thanks but the heatsink can really rip the cpu outa the socket when taking it off ? I never heard about that before.

Should i take the crappy pad off, and put some AS3 on the cpu ?

bradleyland said:
What kind of heatsink did you get? I'm considering giving my gf my A7N8X and some of my old hardware, then buying the exact same mobo and processor you just bought.

I will be using the stock hsf until i can get $53 for the Dangerden RBX or TDX waterblock, im ganna continue watercooling like i have been doing for 3 years.

NiTrO bOiE

CandymanCan said:

Yep, then you'll have to use a flat head screwdriver to pry it off. Do it over a table so the cpu doesn't fall on the floor and bend the pins though. Or if you want to get your hands dirty, just slide the cpu off the heatsink. It makes a pretty big mess though.

OP
CandymanCan

CandymanCan

Disabled
I dont understand the heatsinks ripps the cpu outa the socket ? Wouldnt that destroy the socket or ripp the pins on the cpu off ?

NiTrO bOiE

CandymanCan said:
Should i take the crappy pad off, and put some AS3 on the cpu ?

No, leave it on. That "crappy pad" is actually some good stuff. I forgot what company makes it, but leave it on or your warrenty will be voided. Read the warrenty label in the box, it has the have the orginal thermal paste on there. :mad:

OP
CandymanCan

CandymanCan

Disabled
Forgot about that ... Oh well it doesnt matter. But about the heatsinks ripping the cpu off. It actually pulls the cpu outa the socket when it clipped in? Wouldnt that dammadge the board or cpu pins

NiTrO bOiE

Yes, it's happened to alot of people's cpu. The CPU doesn't get damaged until the person gets angry and trys to get it off of the heatsink by using too much force or getting it off the wrong way. It doesn't damamge the socket or board that I know of. I did it twice actually. (when I took the stock heatsink off, and when I took my waterblock off to return the board)

OP
CandymanCan

CandymanCan

Disabled
Hmmm then Ill be very carefull, i never get angry and destroy stuff i spent 6 weeks saving up for. I wish i heard about this problem before tho its all new to me.

I was joking with my brother sticking my finger in my mouth then touching the mobo box and he cpu box and going Tssssssss lol, hes getting my current 2500+ system, and im mooving to this

SK8

Another way of getting hsf off without pullint cpu out is run the sys full load for abt 10 mins and then shut down fast and then undo the clip and twist hsf right and left and it should just come right off, i had most trouble when i used teh pad. I replaced that with as5 and i got tremendous temp drops.

OP
CandymanCan

CandymanCan

Disabled
Well I'll try the pad first, if it sucks i use AS3. I wish i could hook the thing up now my mom wont let me because were waiting for people to come look at the house... GRR and thier 2 hours late...

Jklipper

Registered
After that stupid tape ripped the cpu out of the socket on the P4 i used to own, i always scrap that crap off. I didn't damage anything but it gives a good scare :eek: