• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MAHUAHWHAHA Look what Arived 3 hours early at my Door step

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just look at my sig it says it all thier. I modified a maze2 dangerden block to fit on the A64 boards. So i am watercooling, it didnt help with overclocks. I think these cpu's only overclock more when thier under extreme cooling like Prommy's or something.

Thats ok tho i like the temps witrh waterbetter 46c is alot better then the 57-60c i was getting with the stock cooler.

Im starting to wonder, should i buy a 3400 Clawhammer ? Or stick with the 3400 Newcastle. The extra 512k cache would be nice. I could however buy a X800pro eheh. Hmm well considering i have a Job now, Ill just buy the newcastle 3400 to see if i can reach 2600 or maybe 2700mhz hah, and then buy the x800pro later my 9700pro is still awsome now that i have the A64 system.

Altho i do need another 512mb soon because D3 will hurt me without it

Blah actually you know what since i really need 1gb of memory, 512mb has sucked ever sincei split up my 512mb pc3200 and the 2x256mb pc2700's from the 2500+ system, Since the other 512mb Samsung is only $80, I'll just buy the 3200+ Newcastle with the other 512mb stick. Altho I really hope the computer will run fine with 2 512mb sticks

Last edited:
I think if gaming is what you want the x800 would be better than the better clocking CPU, it will blow the 9700. IMO the 1m CPUs have the better performance.

Even with not that good of a overclock the shuttle rig in my sig put up a good 3Dmark score & game play is sweat.

One thing about the cooling, have you removed the IHS. I removed mine & repasted it & the temps droped almost 22c. It dont get over 44c on prime in a SFF box witch I thought was very good for 1.7vcore & a stock factory heatsink.

well what do you mean replasterd it on, maybe ill try it but i dont want to mess with my cpu thats boxed and has a 3 year warrentie for a temp drop that doesnt affect overclocking. The cpu's only seem to over more when thier put under extreme cooling, my watercooling dropped my temps by almost 22c also and it didnt help at all.

Yea i decited to stick with the 3000, and just buy some more memory and a new video card.

Well when you pull the IHS off there is thermal paste between it & the die.
When I pulled mine off it had a spot in the center of the die that didnt even have thermal paste on it. Believe me temp does effect these CPUs, Greatly.

Mine wouldnt prime above 2375 with 1.7 volts. I did this & its priming up to 2430 @ 1.6 & can get 2525 out of 1.7. (this is a clawhammer) on the factory heatsink.

I used a razor blade to get it off , heat it up & start working around it trying to get under the corners. untill I had it cut all the way around. Heating the spreader helped a whole lot(I used a cigarett lighter) & heated one edge & worked with it then the next & after awail I had got threw. Then cleaned off all the factory compound (left the rubbery stuff that held the spreader on) just the die & where it touched was cleaned & then applied AS5 & put it back together. She started clocking right then. Man you got to be careful about the pins. Its really worth it but you are taking a chance.

Well, why not just leave the heatspreader off ? I have a waterblock so i dont use the bracket and wouldnt be worried about the space bettwen the heatsink and cpu like you would with the black bracket.

Btw do you think getting some of the overclocked pc3700 Samsung for $95 is worth it ? Im trying to get 1gb of mmeory again like i had with my 2500+ system, because 512mb is ganna suck with doom3. I mean its only $95

I dont know about that mem(I have never run sammies) but 1G of mem will help with any gaming. I found this out on UT2004 it was so much smoother even though there was no help in benchmarking.

I tryed to run without the IHS & it run hotter but I didnt have a water system.

If your water block has enough surface area to cover the IHS I thing it would do better with it than without. Now a system with a very small contact area might do better without it. The heatspreader helps it to transfer the heat to the whole area of the heatsink or water block, this in my case let it pull more heat out.

I think one would have o just try, you will have it off already so its worth a shot.

I was just looking at your sig, you need to get something that you can run 1:1. this was the best performance buy far with the A64s. Some BH5 or 6 @ 250 will kill what you have now. With the setup you are running I would think it would be hard to get 3Dmark scores up to what they can do. Super PI will suffer running the mem like that.

My Shuttle @ 240 with Mushkin just stomped running the OCZ @ 270. I didnt have EB so I couldnt get any timings with the Performance series. If I had had EB @ 270 it would have been different.

The Adata is doing some sweat stuff with the 64s. Timing first & then bus, but the mem need to run with the HTT to get some real performance. Well I wouldnt say that it just helps to get the mem running as fast as you can.

Well the mem you are running not go any fast than you have it.

jess1313 said:
I was just looking at your sig, you need to get something that you can run 1:1. this was the best performance buy far with the A64s. Some BH5 or 6 @ 250 will kill what you have now. With the setup you are running I would think it would be hard to get 3Dmark scores up to what they can do. Super PI will suffer running the mem like that.

My Shuttle @ 240 with Mushkin just stomped running the OCZ @ 270. I didnt have EB so I couldnt get any timings with the Performance series. If I had had EB @ 270 it would have been different.

The Adata is doing some sweat stuff with the 64s. Timing first & then bus, but the mem need to run with the HTT to get some real performance. Well I wouldnt say that it just helps to get the mem running as fast as you can.

Well the mem you are running not go any fast than you have it.

Umm running asynce doesnt hurt much, sure running synce @ 250 will be better, if i wanted i could run 250mhz on my pc3200 but it wont work @ the 1t timming, i get better bandwidth @ 230mhz using 3-3-3-8-1t than 250 3-3-3-8-2t

Anyway having 1gb of memory running @ 230mhz will be alot faster in doom3 or farcry or HL2 then having only 512mb @ 270mhz when i say faster im sure you know what i mean. Besides i already know all this what youre telling me it isnt knew to me. As of right now i dont care about running sync @ 270fsb all i care about is getting 1gb of memory. I dont know how to find Bh-5 memory or where to find it i asked in the mem section but like usually no one helps.

Anyway 2x256mb of pc4400 is the same price as 1gb of pc3200, Id take 1gb anyday. See before o nmy 2500+ i paired the pc3200 with the 2 pc2700's i sacrificed 20fsb over 512mb more, thats what im doing again.

I also dont care about 3dmark i gave up on that benchmark along time ago. Trying to overclock to the max and doing insaine mods the extra 2mhz on the video card or whatever always ended up with dead parts. So where can i find some Bh-5 chips ?

As of right now im really considering just buying another pc3200 Sammy.

What if i get this, not the Hyper the Adata which you can select on the bottom http://www.komusa.com/1gbkit5pc50d.html. Do ya think I'll be able to run 260-270mhz in synce @ 3-4-4-8-1t or any timming. I want the 1t tho. Are you sure Adata Ram is running fine in A64 pc's mainly my motherboard

If you think i should get this for heavy overclocking, then I'll just go Minus in my account to buy them.

Last edited:
I dont know anything about the ram you linked to. Thats a good price though.

I am not shure about where to get BH5, you can get BH6 @ NewEgg (mushkin 222 Special) this ram is not cheap though & if you want a Gig of it you should get it all at once because its not going to be around much longer.

3Dmark score - well its not the point of getting the MAX score but that its a good guide to go buy for finding your best performance. Although its not going to show the the smoothness that 1G of ram will give in a game.

Your ram want run 1T(man that bites) yes 1T at a slower bus will give better performance than 2T @ a slightly higher bus.

I guess we all want high bus with tight timings.

The Adata looks like may be a very good way but I havnt tried it myself.
The ram you liked to looks good & has things like 6 layer PCB that is usaully good for overclocking.

Back to the Adata- Dagalitis is trying this ram out now with his a64 @ Extreem Systems forum in the AMD section. might pay to wait and see what he gets out of this ram. I have heard of others with very good results.http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38538

The Mushkin is running 2-2-2-9-9-11-2-2-1 1T @ 256 speed for me, 258 it craps but at this speed with this timings my game play went though the roof. I am running 1x512 & 1x256 right now but I will add another 512 stick real soon.

I have found nothing to match this yet, although some mem that would do 275-290 with some desent tight timings would probably out do this. I havnt found the mem that will do this yet but some have reported to have. The Adata, OCZ EB & some others.

I think the Buffoloa( Sorry for speeling) 3700 might be BH5 witch will usauly clock alittle better than the Mushkin & will run the same timings.(just found that that mem is micron chips).

If you look in the mem section on this forum you will find a link to this mem,

Mem benchmarks between my Mushkin & my OCZ where very close to the same but the 3dmark scores went way up with the Mushkin & the game play was alot better also. I could run my OCZ at 275 with 3-4-8-4-3-2-1-2-2 1T

If it would do 2.5 cas & little better in few other timings it probably would have rock. The EB is reported to do this but mine is not EB or El.

Last edited:
It is my understandng, the cas 3 and cas 2.5 or 2 have no affect what so ever because of the low latency on the cpu mem controller, thats why alot of people just use 3-4-4-8 to get higher overclocks. Only the 2 timmings seem to affect the AXP's not A64's. At least from what i heard. I cant verify that claim seeing my sammy doesnt like the 2 timmings.

For the price i think I will get the adata.

Some rich idiot guy name Epox tech on this forum http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27. is saying my 9700pro or a 9800pro wont run doom3 at all and that 512mb is enough and 1gb is useless. How stupide can you get ? He is just braggin that he has a X800pro and i dont I hate noobs like that. I'll take 1gb of mem and a 9700pro over 512mb and a X800pro. Im sorry

Last edited:
Candyman, Epox Tech really IS an epox tech. His input is generally highly regarded at least on the amdmb Epox forum. Of course, nobody's perfect-- I'm not sure I understand or agree with what he meant in the thread you linked.

Yea but during my whole stay at AOA, all the questions i ask and he repsondes to he iehter misleads me in other directions isnt helpfull at all, or or put some iwerd words in his statements that will tick anyone off

Here's my experience so far with my A64 3000+ CG, Epox 8KDA3J and Corsair 3200XL 2x512meg mem.

Stable results:
Stock Heatsink/fan. Ambient temp 24-26. Idle temp 32, load temp 52.
2405 MHz (9x267) at 1.62 volts.
219 MHz mem at 5:6 ratio. 2-2-2-5 1T timings @ 2.95V in slot 1 & 3
SuperPI 1 meg 37 secs
Aquamark3 cpu score 10627

Did the vdimm vmod cause 214 MHz was the max i could push at 2.78V.

Before the vdimm mod, I could run the mem at 267 MHz at 2.5-3-3-7 2T. Not surprisingly, my benchmark results were roughly the same (37 sec superpi, 10621) with relaxed timings compared to the 214MHz 2-2-2-5 1T results.
The max speed at 1T I was able to get was 235 MHz at 2.5-3-3-7 timing @ 2.78V.
I'll test again at 2.95v.

cliff notes: I managed DDR534 (267 MHz) on 3200XL mem at 2.78v.

Hrmm. I'm still not good at 2500. I can run prime a while but 3DMark03 locks up. Go figure.

It also seems my SuperPi is the same (37) whether I run at 2350/235, 1t or 2500/250, 2t.

Edit: I DL'ed a burn-in program called, "Burn-in" that has a test for 2D and 3D graphics. Trying 9*255, I got a BSOD immediately upon running the 3D test.

Last edited:
Back