• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Major Heat Problem!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeid_2000

Registered
The title says it all relly.

I just upgraded to an AMD Athlon 1.4Ghz processor. I installed it today along with a new fan. I was having cooling problems before hand so a new fan was essential.

I turned on the computer and booted into Windows... played about for a minute and then the computer crashed. I restarted the computer and checked the Bios and my processor was at an amazing 70 DEGREES CELSIUS! I have taken the processor out after a further four crashes.

Could my Motherboard be the problem as this has happened with two processors so its unlikely to be them.

I have two other system fans so the computer should run quite cool!

First what heatsink are you using? What voltage? What fan? What mobo? Did you use thermal paste? What kind? Did you apply it correctly? What is ambient temp?

nikhsub1 said:
First what heatsink are you using? What voltage? What fan? What mobo? Did you use thermal paste? What kind? Did you apply it correctly? What is ambient temp?

It does sound like it is not seated corectly.

Or a realy cheap HSF combo:(

i doubt its a crap HSF cos the one i had in ran perfect for a year. the new one is working well with the 900 processor now i've moved my PC.

i tried the 1400 again but still at 60degrees.

I have another fan arriving in the next few days so i can try it again.

the motherboard is an SIS735
the Heatsink... christ i can't remember but it can handle ALL AMD processors.
There was solution on the bottom of the HSF
by ambient temp i assume u mean the system temp.. its about 30degrees

jeid_2000 said:
the HSF cost me £25
Do you know what kind it is? Is it aluminum or copper? If the base is aluminum, look into getting a better one made of copper. How powerful of a fan is on it (CFM)? Did you apply the thermal paste in a very thin layer on the core of the CPU?

its aluminium. i don't know how powerful a fan it is. the paste was already on the base of the CPU.

Is it likely that this is going to be the problem? would aluminium really make it run what i presume to be 30degrees hotter than it should????

i'm quite sceptical that it would cause such a huge difference

AMD chips put out a lot of heat.

Most heatsinks are not truly FLAT; even the best performing products on the market can often benefit from being Lapped. Lapping is the process of using wet sandpaper and a true flat surface to re-finish the bottom of the sink.)

Heatsinks are very easy to have slightly mis-aligned: most of the time it is not possible to visually see the core of the cpu to verify that everything is "perfect" so some care is needed.

Thermal Interface Material that is already in place on a heatsink indicates two things: it is not one of the best heatsinks available and lapping will probably help quite a lot.

Remove the T.I.M., lap the sink and use thermal grease (like Arctic Silver, or even the compound available form you local electronics store if need be:)) and then try again.

Something is definitely quite wrong with those temps! Aluminum is not quite as effective as copper, but the real-world difference is actually fairly small.

Seeing the patse/goop was on already it's a generic one, get your self some ASIII or a GOOD brand paste.

30c* for a case temp does mean your CPU temp will also be higher,

900 to 1.4 will run hotter.

Oh BTW about the cr@ppy HSF I meant NO disrespect to you @ all :beer:

On mt t-rird sys 1.33 @ 1.538, temps are 23c* case. 53c* with a Thermaltake SK6 on it, and CV @ 1.85, it's just a floder so the temps I dont realy care about on it.

And the alum HS is not the greatest right now, a good all copper or a copper base/insert would be better, as the copper will take the heat from the cpu and transfer it to the alum nicely.

I have the Thermaltake AX7 on my Xp1600+ @ 1.909 with 2.00 CV and the temps are 24c* case and 43c* cpu with ASIII and a Delta 68.5 cfm fan on it.

Back