• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Make an HDD faster?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDawggS316

Is it possible to speed up the HDD without purchasing a new one? I've got one at 7,200 RPM.

psionic98

hds arent motherboards.. cant just throw more juice at em and expect them to run better.. though it might be interesting to see someone forcefully add more power to one as a..research project!

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
hds arent motherboards.. cant just throw more juice at em and expect them to run better.. though it might be interesting to see someone forcefully add more power to one as a..research project!

That would be awesome...I have a 5400.3 from my PS3 that's just sitting around...I don't know how to forcefully add power to it though :(

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer

would need a hard mod to "juice" up the motor for higher then 7200RPM. if you did that though, you would really reduce the life of the HD motor. not really the best thing to do if you are worried about keeping data for a while.

No there is no way to make a HD faster...

ratbuddy

Many early SATA 300 hard drives came with a jumper enabled by default that forced them to run in SATA 150 mode. If it's one of those, you can pull the jumper to pick up a little speed on a mobo or controller that supports it. Other than that, nope.

deed

You can speed up the rate in which it runs with major mods but it causes data coruption.... plus if it goes to fast the whole thing breaks which would be pretty cool.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Many early SATA 300 hard drives came with a jumper enabled by default that forced them to run in SATA 150 mode. If it's one of those, you can pull the jumper to pick up a little speed on a mobo or controller that supports it. Other than that, nope.
How would that help considering even a single velorap doesnt saturate the Sata150 bandwidth? :shrug:

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
How would that help considering even a single velorap doesnt saturate the Sata150 bandwidth? :shrug:

good question, but from what i recall seeing in the past. with seagate drives, they came with said jumper installed for SATA 1.0(what im calling it for right now). the burst and actual read/writes were a touch slower with it installed then when the jumper was removed to operate on SATA 2.0. i think the controller it self limits things internally to have compatability with SATA 1.0 boards.

ratbuddy

Dunno, but it works. Probably something to do with the drive's buffer or something. This is a pair of 160GB Maxtor drives. The only difference between the benches is I pulled out the jumpers.

pre-jumper.png
after-jumper.png

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Ahh.... thanks for that info guys. 5% increase it appears. For some reason (probably the context it was written in) I assumed it was strictly b/c of the bandwidth. ;)