• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Make Vista's Defrag work for you!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamescardenas07

In trying to fix problems and out of aggravation at how simplified/unhelpful Vista's defrag is, I ran across and reorganized some of the following info. Try it to see if it makes defrag more useful for you.

First, run cmd.exe as an Administrator

In the prompt type "defrag c:" or whatever your drive letter is. After this, there are a number of command lines that give you a lot more control. You add them to "defrag c:" as shown below, much like editing a property tag.

1) Type "defrag c: -v" if you want to see a detailed analysis of the defrag, vs normal Vista defrag that tells you nothing about the results.
2) Type "defrag c: -c" if you want to defrag all your drives. Before SP1 you couldn't even do other drives than the OS drive; this lets you do them all at once.
3) Type "defrag c: -w" to do a full defrag. Normal Vista defrag ignores certain-sized clusters as Microsoft claims they don't impact performance. "-w" forces it to actually fully defrag your HDD. All people here who really tweak their hardware will appreciate even minute performance increases such as what this offers.
4) Type "defrag c: -f" to run the defrag even when you're below 15% disk space. Normally Vista won't allow you to run defrag if you have less than 15% free drive space.
5) Type "defrag c: -i" if you want the defrag to run in the background when the disk is idle. I don't use this as I worry that writing to the disk during defrag makes it less effective.
6) Type "defrag c: -b" if you want to defrag/optimize boot files specifically. Try this after a normal defrag. Also, make sure you're trying to run this on the drive that actually has your OS!

You can enter multiple commands in one defrag. For example, "defrag c: -c -v"
Separate them with one space only.

It's about as hard to tell if the defrag is still running through the command prompt as it is using the regular defrag - however, so long as the cursor is flashing, it's working. Just give it time like normal. I don't know of any way to make Vista's defrag faster, and it can take several hours. With only my 150GB 10,000RPM Raptor it takes me 4+ hours. Definitely an overnight project. The point of this thread is to make it a more helpful use of time.

voigts

has anyone tried Auslogics disk defrag? I use it currently on XP, but it says it works with Vista 32 and 64, and it is very fast.

woz101

has anyone tried Auslogics disk defrag? I use it currently on XP, but it says it works with Vista 32 and 64, and it is very fast.

Yes, I have it on both my Vista 32 and 64 bit. It is indeed very fast. I prefer it to Windows's built-in defragger.