• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making a bootable CD in Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lummoxx

I just recently installed RedHat, for the first time.

Is it possible to burn a Windows bootable CD in the RedHat burner?

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
Hmm... I **think** that all you have to have on the disc is command.com to be bootable. If you have access to that file from your/a windows installation, I think all you have to do is burn that file on to the root directory of the CD.

If all else fails just boot into Windows, if you're dual booting. If you're Linux-only, find a Windows box....

AllenSmoker

Bootable cd's actually require certain data written to the cd header, and a special mode track. Nero is able to do this(windows) and X-CD-Roast (newest version) can do it under Linux.

OP
Lummoxx

Lummoxx

Hmm...doesn't appear my burner will be supported by X-CD-Roast. Oh well, easiest solution appears to be to put the burner in the windows machine, and make it there.

I'll double check, though, since I've got RedHat9 installed. According to the Roast site, the current version is on it.

Thanks for the replies. :)