• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Making a custom fan on a GPU heatsink!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M@rk

Hello everyone!
Recently my GPUs fan started failing, It effected the temps by about 20c, Which is a lot. I tried oiling the fan but it didnt help, The fan didnt have any removable "thingy", I read online that you can inject the oil with a syringe between the blades and the body, So i did that but it didnt work.
I am thinking about buying 2 or 3 fans and custom mounting them to the heatsink, I dont want to spend more than 6$ on a single fan and the options are limited to 2 fans, One is: Antec F19 120mm Led Silent fan which is 120mm and cost around 6$, The second option is SilverStone FM93 which is a 92mm fan and cost 5$. Im thinking about if buying the silverstone fans i would buy 3 of them but if buying the antec fans i would buy only 2 (Cause of size).
The GPUs heatsink size is 7cm (70mm) tall and about 22cm (220mm) long, What fan would you suggest to buy and how many?

Thanks in advance :)

Thread solved and it worked all great!
Pic of the GPU is in post #23 and results are in post #24.

Last edited:
Either plan will work fine. I have a fleet of AMD 7970's and R9-280x's where about half of the fans have gone. 80mm fans work too. I have bought aftermarket kits too. The best advise I can give is to make sure that the fan is secure to the heatsink. Zip ties work a treat but so do twist ties.

Either plan will work fine. I have a fleet of AMD 7970's and R9-280x's where about half of the fans have gone. 80mm fans work too. I have bought aftermarket kits too. The best advise I can give is to make sure that the fan is secure to the heatsink. Zip ties work a treat but so do twist ties.

Yeah i thought about zipties, I also thought about making a handmade frame from plastic to screw into the heatsink and screw the fans on it :). unfortunately 80mm fans are more expensive, Ive found a 80mm PWM fan (Arctic F8 80mm) but its 9$ while the 92mm fan isnt PWN and is only 5$, Which is more preferable or is there no difference? I forgot to note that i want to connect both fans to the GPUs fan header and the stock fans are PWN.

I'd go with the bigger fans. They can spin slower and thus be quieter and still push enough air to keep things cool. Don't overthink the connection. Zip ties work perfectly and without much effort or complexity.

I'd go with the bigger fans. They can spin slower and thus be quieter and still push enough air to keep things cool. Don't overthink the connection. Zip ties work perfectly and without much effort or complexity.

Yeah i know, Thanks :).
I was thinking about doing the plastic cover or whatever its called cause of aesthetics. Should i buy 3 fans and make it a tri-fan cooling?

That would be you're call based on what your temps are and what you want them to be. Balance noise into that factor too. You could probably run three fans at 5v or 7v for next to 0 noise and still get all of the cooling you need. These are the unknowns until you get into it.

That would be you're call based on what your temps are and what you want them to be. Balance noise into that factor too. You could probably run three fans at 5v or 7v for next to 0 noise and still get all of the cooling you need. These are the unknowns until you get into it.

Yeah, I guess ill buy 3 fans and keep 1 spare for future projects.
I dont REALLY care if its a little noisy, But if it sounds just a little too much its bad.

On my R9 280x OC I replaced the failed fans with two 92mm coolermaster fans. I removed the cowel and just siliconed them to the heatsink. Works great and very quiet.

I've had three in my previous life :D

9172597574_2422b6d503_o.jpg

I know that the stock fans are 12Volt and 0.4Amp, But the fans ill buy are 12Volt and 0.3Amp will it damage the fans if i put the fans on 100% while its connected to the GPU fan header?

Forget the GPU fan header and use a motherboard header of 4-pin molex.

I know that the stock fans are 12Volt and 0.4Amp, But the fans ill buy are 12Volt and 0.3Amp will it damage the fans if i put the fans on 100% while its connected to the GPU fan header?

Ive got no links for you but when I researched this I found that most folks agreed that a "standard" GPU header was rated at 1Amp. Take it with a grain of salt, but I did see that in more than 1 place. I could never confirm it in any official reading from a manufacturer, but several posts on several forums seemed to agree on/around 1Amp

Forget the GPU fan header and use a motherboard header of 4-pin molex.

Any particular reason? just convenience? I only ask because I have a project like this planned for later. My fans arent dying but I still wanted to replace them, Id hate to lose the ability to control fanspeed or have a wiring mess. Just curious if there is some sort of problem I havent read about with using non-GPU fans on a GPU header

Convenience for sure. I've always found it too much effort to get an after market fan to plug in the the GPU header.

Convenience for sure. I've always found it too much effort to get an after market fan to plug in the the GPU header.

Just cut the connector on the old fan and solder it. Even i can do it with no problem and im 15, lol.

No. Amperage is not forced on a device by the electrical supply. The device draws the amperage it's rated for and no more. You're confusing volts and amps.

Back