• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

making rheostat from Volcano 9?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

!ncubus

I'm going to watercooling, and I'm wondering if somehow I can make a rheostat out of the volcano 9 temperature sensor or controller. I would be useing a 120 mm fan with it for the radiator, I'm not sure if that could be a problem. I could spend the $5 to buy one from radio shack, but I will have a spare Volcano 9 laying around.

It would be cool if I could hook up the temperature sensor, getting it to run the desired RPM's for a given temperature might not be difficult: I was testing to see how the insides volcano 9 work, and when I hooked up the manual control and set it to 2500 RPM, then add the temperature sensor without removing the manual control, both would work. It would respond to temperature and the manual conroller. This could be useful for setting it up for desired RPM's.

I'm just not sure how I could connect it to the 120mm fan, or if there is some special circuitry inside the fan that is needed.

edit: Thanks in advance!