• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

making the ultimate air cooled system! - am i crazy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prodius613

Registered
I have got the best idea i have ever thought of for making the best air cooled case anyone has ever seen

I figured that putting a system that can pump an outstanding 3000 cfm can't be beat by anything anyone can throw together

noisy yes but they always say you sacrifice one for the other

and yes it is not a typo 3000 cfm

let me know if i am crazy or if it is something worth trying

:D :D :D :cool: :cool: :beer:

AZN

AznSniper
3000CFM??? OK... is this a turbo charged case? give us details we like to see whats ur doing.

Kosmic

Well, if you want to get THAT extreme maybe water cooling would be the way to go...you could get pretty extreme there and still be able to hear while your computer is running. ;)

K1

OP
Prodius613

Prodius613

Registered
thats not the point.

the point is

A IIIIIII RRRRR !!
A A II R R !!
A A II R R !!
A A II RRRRR !!
AAAAAA II R R !!
A A II R R
A A IIIIIII R R !!

Stryfe

Sounds pretty crazy to me, but I'd sure like to see pictures of it when its done. And while you're at it record a .wav of it running full tilt, haha
Just make sure everything flows properly and you don't have fans fighting each other.

WeaponX

I was just walking down the aisles in Lowe's the other day and I saw this gigantic fan that blew over 6000 CFM!! it would actually fit in a full tower case. But it would weight so much....

Bantre

Tornados can cause straw to punture bricks due to force.
At that cfm rating wouldnt dust be considered a deadly sandblasting weapon?
3000 CFM is 5x the normal ceiling fan on high but in a more confined, directed space.
I would be afraid of the damage caused by small debris!

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
ultimate air-cooling

If you're going to go berserk like that with the extreme overkill on airflow, locate your pc-2-b right by an AC vent or window unit. Get the most of all that air-power and blast it with cold air-conditioned air. Otherwise you're just plain crazy! (in a good way)

OP
Prodius613

Prodius613

Registered
THERE IS A METHOD TO MY MADNESS

YOU KNOW THEM AIR FILTERS YOU GET AT THE HARDWARE STORE FOR YOUR HOUSE HEATER/AIR WELL THAT IS WHAT STOPS DIRT FROM GETTING INTO THE SYSTEM.

I AM DOING SOMETHING ALONG THOSE LINES RIGHT NOW TO KEEP OUT ABOUT 90% OF THE USUAL DUST THAT USED TO COLLECT IN MY SYSTEM.

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
Maybe you're crazy, maybe not. I've been eyeing my 12" x 20" furnace blower with a 1/2HP beltdrive motor on it for my radiator. It's salvaged out of my old 120,000 btu fuel oil furnace. I guess that would be right up there too, huh?

Just remember, when you got all that cfm going in, it's gotta have plenty of openings for it to get out too, or the blower/fan will just spin, heat up and die. Put some extra rubber spacers behind your mobo, cause you don't want it to bow and short out on the backside.;)

OP
Prodius613

Prodius613

Registered
OK I WILL GOVE YOU ALL A SAMPLE OF THE SPECS

THE WEIGHT IS 2.5 LBS

AND YES PEOPLE IT IS A 12 VOLT DC FAN IF ANY OF YOU WERE WONDERING

A COUPLE OF THE FANS I WAS LOOKING AT ARE

2 - 12" 1250 CFM FAN TOTAL 2500 CFM

THE OTHER IS

A 10" FAN 2800 CFM

AND WITH BOTH I HAVE 3 - 3" VENTS TO ALLOW AIR TO FLOW OUT

SaT985

Registered
build a small building outside and run a duct. rip a rotary outa a mazda rx7 and stick a couple of stageIII turbo's on it, that'll be a sufficient motor:D

mustangman

What was that? I couldn't hear you!:D
Go for it, I hope it works for you. You may want to invest in some earplugs.
When your done with it I would like to see some pics and as someone else said record a .wav of it and post it.
Good luck.:beer:

Maximus Nickus

Senior Shaman
Before I went H20 I had the best AIR cooling setup.

It was 800CFM but even the CPU at 1.35Ghz (from 1Ghz) and at 1.85V was at room temp. No matter how much air you have you can't get below room temp unless things like Peltiers/Air Con(Vapochill) come into the equation.

Get around 600CFM and that will be sufficient. But I had to get H20 (not that I'm complaining:D) as the Doctor said I could have hearing trouble after too much of that noise.:eek:

Get H20, for a lot less $$$ than a jet engine pushing out 99999999999999999999999CFM!!!

Robbiem01

hmm 3K cfm ... I thought 400 cfm was overkill. You know a few well-placed fans will beat 20 fans placed anywhere anyday. Your fans will be fighting eachother unless you design a case made just for this project. Anyways I'd like to see pics if you do this but before you spend big $ let me tell you that I dont think it will do much good. Best you'll do is ambient w/o a pelt (or 20 pelts for that matter.)