• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mandrake 8.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr Snub

ok I think i have decided on mandrake 8.1 as a linux distro

should i get power pack or standard edition?

im getting boxed because i am a newb

SpeeDj

Personally I would recommend the gaming edition, I picked it up and I love it thus far. Otherwise go with whichever you think will suit your needs the best.

Just my two cents

J

PolyPill

How well does that gaming edition work? I've heard about it, but never used it or talked to anyone that's used it. Any issues with certain types of games?

OP
Mr Snub

Mr Snub

well i am going to set up a dual boot system
but does the gaming edition work with all games?
present and upcoming

SpeeDj

PolyPill said:
How well does that gaming edition work? I've heard about it, but never used it or talked to anyone that's used it. Any issues with certain types of games?
Unfortunately having not run any games on it yet being I installed it on my subcompact laptop, *an NEC Ready 120 about the size of half a sheet of paper* I could not tell you, but I will see that shortly I will be installing it on something to test out that very issue. The WineX that is included in the distro is updated often, and new support is worked in all the time. I intend to give it a run for the money for sure, I will let you guys know how well she works.

J

Mithian

Registered
Hmmm, if it works fairly well I could be putting an end to my M$ days. I'd much rather spend time in Linux than any other OS but I'm too much of a gamer.

What is it about the gaming edition that makes you reccomend it although you haven't given it a full test yet? I'm not sure I understand exactly how much it differs from the other Mandrake products.

Could you explain?

Mithian

SpeeDj

Mithian said:
Hmmm, if it works fairly well I could be putting an end to my M$ days. I'd much rather spend time in Linux than any other OS but I'm too much of a gamer.

What is it about the gaming edition that makes you reccomend it although you haven't given it a full test yet? I'm not sure I understand exactly how much it differs from the other Mandrake products.

Could you explain?

Mithian
Sure can the big difference is the gaming edition comes pre packaged with WineX and support for it as well, WineX is a new distribution of wine which is said to have direct X support coded into it. Which is where most of the problem of running games lies. Mandrake 8.1 as a whole is truly great operating system now add in the fact of WineX and you have something that is even better. As someone who has ran mandrake for sometime, I can honestly say it is a good starting point for anyone, and for the same price as the standard edition you can get the gaming edition, as XWRed I believe said the extras CD's are just fluff but some of the programs are fun to play with that is for sure.

Just my two cents

J

XWRed1

Only Mandrake gaming edition has Winex. You can download it, though.