• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mandrake 9.2 dual Monitors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deRusett

Well I took the plunge and installed Mandrake 9.2 but now I have a big problem

I have 2 Monitors my Primary a 21" my secondary a 17"

Well My Primary is STUCK in 480 X 600 resolution and my 17" in at 1024 X 780

my 21" and 17" both share the same image so I can navigate a 1024 X 780
viewing it at 480 X 600, which sucks.

I have a ATI radeon 8500 128mb graphics card.

Can anyone help? so far WIndows is looking real good compared to linux.

this is the guide i used to set up my dual monitors http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Xinerama-HOWTO/ sounds like your monitor profile in /etc/X11/XF86Config (when trying to access this file, case is important) is screwed up though. if you properly configure the monitor profiles, everything should work great.

you might want to start with dropping into runlevel 3, and typing in X -configure then type in startx to see if it worked. if not, go to /etc/X11/XF86Config and edit the monitor profiles. you can also setup your monitor positions while your at it. im not sure if this all applies to mandrake though, but it worked on red hat for me.

Thank you, this unfortunatly is for 2 Graphics Cards, I have a single one.

I have looked at my etc/X11/XF86Config file, and it seems to be set up correctly from what I have seen from other forums when people have posed this problem

I even tried to force install the newest ATI drivers but get an error about conflict,

I would have to reload linux to get the exact error message

but this is petty dang close

Installation failed:
file /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 from install of fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.2.8 conflicts with file from package libxfree86-4.3-23mdk

I tried
rpm -ivh --force fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.2.8.i386.rpm

but it did not work.

Consider me a Complete Linux Noob, and this problem I am faced with as soon as I start linux. so I did not play around to get my barings

Back