• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mandrake isn't my thing - How do I get rid of it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
I started dual booting WinXP and Mandrake Linux maybe two months ago. I've tried fairly hard at Mandrake, but it just isn't my thing. Sorry...I'm not a programmer or a coder or anything, and I just don't have a use for it. I game and surf the web, and WindowsXP works fine for me.

So how do I go about getting rid of Mandrake, including the bootloader and everything?

kenkun

Registered
One option that you have is you can use a program like partition magic to repartition/size, and/or change that partition to a different file system (at the same time wiping everything clean on that particular partition). Another thing you can do is: while in windows, right click on the other partition (the one with linux) and select format. There are several ways to go about taking it off your hd, but these are a couple of the easiest ways I can think of. Hope this helps a little :)

p.s. If you would like to make your linux partition merge with your windows partition, I believe you will have to back up and reinstall windows again after you merge the partitions. Oh and I'm sure you know, but any formatting to the linux partition will also get rid of it's bootloader. :)

OP
johan851

johan851

It'll get rid of the bootloader too? I was under the impression that the bootloader was part of the MBR or something...last time I tried Mandrake (this was its second chance) I had to use the fixmbr command to get rid of the bootloader.

DaWiper

Image Compare Man
Last time I wanted to remove linux I just booted from a win98 bootdisk(And yes I run winxp) and typed "fdisk /mbr"(Not sure what way the slash was.) That removed lilo and got my old winxp bootmenu(dualboot windows) back.

Then I used "Partition Manager" to delete the ext2-partition and merge it back to a windowspartition I used for storage.
Beware that playing around with partitions MIGHT result in loss of data. (It has never happened to me).

OP
johan851

johan851

Hasn't happened to me either, but I appreciate it. I believe you can run a similar command using the WinXP boot CD. Thanks for your help. :)

{PMS}fishy

From the recovery prompt, run fixmbr to overwrite the MBR and rewrite the MBR with a windows bootloader.

You can then delete the partitions from within windows.