• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mandrake Linux Updating Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beelzebub

ACK!! I ran the Mandrake Package Updater on my system to update to the latest kernel version and now it won't boot!! HELP!!

I am dual booting using Grub, and when I tried to load Linux after running the updater, it says that I cannot boot the system, file not found. What did I do?!?! Grub comes up and I can boot to Windows XP no problem, but Linux no longer boots.

Is there anything I can to do fix this other than reinstalling Linux? The Mandrake Package Updater program installed a lot of updates, and finished with no errors.

OP
Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Here is the exact text that is returned when trying to start now...

kernel (hd1,0)/boot/linuz root=/dev/hdf1 hdc=ide-scsi devfs=mount quiet vga=794

Error 15 : File not found

XWRed1

I've heard other people complain of this problem in Mandrake. Apparently, its a bad idea to upgrade the kernel using the Mandrake updater.

David

Forums Super Moderator
You need to find a kernel somewhere. Even a basic 2.4.x kernel would be fine for a short while until you compile a new one.

The easiest thing to do is reinstall.

OP
Beelzebub

Beelzebub

I reinstalled the OS but didn't format the /home partition. At least it saved me the trouble of reconfiguring everything and crunching SETI all over again. I was at 93% dagnabbit. I would hate to waste those hours. I guess I learned not to update the kernel through the Mandrake Package Updater(Killer).

Thanks guys.

David

Forums Super Moderator
Beelzebub said:
I reinstalled the OS but didn't format the /home partition. At least it saved me the trouble of reconfiguring everything and crunching SETI all over again. I was at 93% dagnabbit. I would hate to waste those hours. I guess I learned not to update the kernel through the Mandrake Package Updater(Killer).

Thanks guys.

The easiest and safer way to update your kernel is to download the source from www.kernel.org and manually configure it.

To be honest, if it doesn't need updating, don't update it. Any 2.4.x kernel should cope fine.