• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maquina de los Muertos Day of the Dead themed Bitfenix Phenom M Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

philipgilliam

Registered
[Sponsored][Build Log] Day of the Dead Themed Custom Watercooled Build

Hey guys I'm a first time builder with an ambitious project. I decided to build a small form factor rig with plenty of bells and whistles and a few custom pieces. I just started work on the project and there's a few goals I'm working towards. I'm wanting to streamline the case which is already a beautiful design. Make it extremely clean and sleek. Work towards injecting small pops of bright colors without being overdone. And achieve good bench results with limited airflow. I plan on custom coloring most of the components and blocking off the power supply to hide it. Also I will be adding a windowed side to the case. I've done a large amount of research and looked a ton of builds. Some are fantastic and those that aren't I'm trying to learn from their mistakes. I'm using a bunch of ideas introduced by other people and making something my own. I'm also on an incredibly tight budget with lofty goals. Hopefully I won't have to alter my plans too much. Thanks for reading and with luck I will be updating fairly often.

Last edited:
OP
P

philipgilliam

Registered
So first update. In all honesty though I had already had plans to make these first few modifications. I had already measured the space i needed for my acrylic shroud for the power supply. and the acrylic side panel. Which I had cut to the exact size of the case side panel. as you can see in the pictures i need to take a bit more off the bottom and back edge where the frame of the case is rounded it sticks out a little too much for my liking but an easy fix nonetheless. The metal angles are 1/16 INCH aluminum which I cut with my circular saw and a metal blade. turned out pretty nice. a little rough on the edges but it wont show anyway. Put everything together for a dry fit. Just trying to decide if i want to sleeve a set of power cables or purchase some. I've checked prices at shakmods and they seem really reasonable but any money i save doing it myself is money i can put into something else. All the fasteners used were purchased from Lowe's and the acrylic actually came from Hobby Lobby, which I completely recommend. I actually work there in the frame shop. You can purchase a large sheet to cover any that you need and if you need multiple pieces they will cut it for a dollar per cut. Thanks for looking. Hoping to update in a week or so when I get more time. Oh and the aluminum will be wrapped in the same vinyl as the acrylic.
IMG_3094.JPG
IMG_3095.JPG
IMG_3097.JPG
IMG_3096.JPG
IMG_3098.JPG
IMG_3100.JPG
IMG_3103.JPG
IMG_3101.JPG
IMG_3104.JPG
IMG_3105.JPG
IMG_3106.JPG
IMG_3107.JPG
IMG_3108.JPG
IMG_3109.JPG
IMG_3113.JPG
IMG_3116.JPG
IMG_3117.JPG
IMG_3118.JPG
IMG_3122.JPG
IMG_3119.JPG

OP
P

philipgilliam

Registered
Got a chance to do a little light painting tonight. Painted the front bitfenix emblem, the mesh side grilles, and the corner channel for my power supply box. Went with a nice metallic purple lacquer, I think it's very subtle but really helps add some color. Also makes the box look quite a bit better. With any luck the next project will be some sleeved extensions, gonna try to throw in 3 or 4 colors throughout the cables. Would love some feedback on cable ideas. I'm trying to tie in those sugar skull colors.
IMG_3128.JPG
IMG_3131.JPG
IMG_3133.JPG
IMG_3134.JPG
IMG_3135.JPG
IMG_3136.JPG

Dalchi Frusche

So this is the third time I'm trying to post this, but I would color scheme the sleeving with a combination of White, Purple, Blue and Black... order dictating frequency of color.(ex white used more than purple etc)

OP
P

philipgilliam

Registered
So I sleeved all the cables. Went with a very bright neon scheme with white, pink, green, and purple. They turned out great will upload pics later this evening.

Dalchi Frusche

The 24 pin is spot on! Loving it. I think I probably would've focused white pink and purple on the pciE and white purple and green for the ATX power. But, that's just me hehe... The sleeving came out well

OP
P

philipgilliam

Registered
I think your right on about the pcie when I put my cable combs on I'll switch out that green one for a pink one.

OP
P

philipgilliam

Registered
Thanks man. I just did a little more work to the power supply shroud did some lettering just waiting on my RGB light strip to arrive so I can set all that in stone

OP
P

philipgilliam

Registered
tmp_19026-20170123_071155~2152555051.jpg
Just a quick little phone picture for an update I'll post some more glamorous ones when I get home. Everything's turning out well.

OP
P

philipgilliam

Registered
tmp_19026-20170119_174145~2-1221381839.jpg
I'll have to leave it upside down. The heatsink has a light underneath the MSI logo so it'll keep it out. Also I added an RGB light to the shroud couldn't see it in the first pic though.