• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Massive system difference....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Abra_Volta

Ok, to start off, i'm not a very happy camper right now.

I have just gotten done with building my new machine:

AMD XP1700+ w/SLK-900u heatsink and TT SF II
Abit NF7 motherboard
Antec True 550 PS
1x 512MB Corsair XMS PC3500
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro

Reused Yamaha CRW2100E 16x10x40 CDRW drive
Reused Maxtor DiamondMax 30GB VL Ultra ATA/66

the CDRW and HD are masters on their own separate IDE.
Both are connected with 40-pin 80 wire IDE cables.

Now, I know the CDRW and the HD are not speed demons, but since installing, reformating, and re-installing WinXP, I have seen a MAJOR slowdown in everything i've done compared to my old system:

P-III 550Mhz w/256MB RAM w/WinXP

All my install programs are slower to install and run and I can't figure out what is going on.

Is there anything I can look for? I've already checked to make sure my IDE drives have DMA access. I have not started OC'ing yet until I make sure this thing is running correctly as normal speeds.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
A

Abra_Volta

Well, I played around a bit. The system seems quite a bit faster without the 2nd IDE on. I disconnected the CDRW drive and everything else seems to be a bit faster.

So, I switched the CDRW for a storage HD I have. Needless to say that it took almost 5-6 just to boot.

I think there is something going on with the IDE/drivers/WinXP. I just have to find it.

OP
A

Abra_Volta

Ok, after doing some more searching, it's looking like there might be a problem with the nVidia drivers for the IDE.

I was reading on Abit's forums, but could not find out exactly how to or what I am looking to uninstall. If I uninstall the nVidia portion from the Add/Remove programs I think i'm going to lose a lot of other functionality.

Does anyone know about this or can someone give me a hand?