• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Max hotness for Q6700?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Th3 F4ll3n P1mp

Disabled
What is the maximum temperature that is ok to run 24/7 on a Q6700? I dont want to damage it, and I am getting 65-75 celcius with seti running. :( For some reason core 0 and core 3 are very hot compared to the others, too. Atm, I am running core 0 at 75 - core 1 at 58 - core 2 at 61 - core 3 at 69-71. Any ways to cool my system down more? I am at 1.45 volts (vdroop makes it around 1.4) and only 340 fsb. Something has to be wrong here...2 fans running at full tilt on my radiator. I will shorten my tubing soon so I can also lower my temps a little bit. Could the problem be my thermal paste? Could it be that I put too much or not enough? I used arctic ceramique btw. I know that it is better for sub-zero temperatures, but I didnt have any AS5 at hand. Thanks in advance.

ZircularLogic

Registered
Too much thermal paste is one possibility. A warped IHS or water block is another. I would re-seat with new paste (very little!) and try again, because 65-75C is too warm IMO.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
What is the maximum temperature that is ok to run 24/7 on a Q6700? I dont want to damage it, and I am getting 65-75 celcius with seti running. :( For some reason core 0 and core 3 are very hot compared to the others, too. Atm, I am running core 0 at 75 - core 1 at 58 - core 2 at 61 - core 3 at 69-71. Any ways to cool my system down more? I am at 1.45 volts (vdroop makes it around 1.4) and only 340 fsb. Something has to be wrong here...2 fans running at full tilt on my radiator. I will shorten my tubing soon so I can also lower my temps a little bit. Could the problem be my thermal paste? Could it be that I put too much or not enough? I used arctic ceramique btw. I know that it is better for sub-zero temperatures, but I didnt have any AS5 at hand. Thanks in advance.
Too much hotness? :eh?:

Take the block off and take a pictures (please don't post if it is blurry...) of what the thermal spread looks like.

OP
Th3 F4ll3n P1mp

Th3 F4ll3n P1mp

Disabled

Sarsbaby

Disabled
I usualy use a little bit more than that. Just my opinion. I like it to cover the whole HS surface and just the smallest amount coming out the sides. Not enough to really cover anything else besides the sides of the cpu HS surface a little.

I guess it depends on how much preasure is applied. (?) Correct me if i'm wrong please.

I think anything above 65c is TOO much. Try a different brand od TIM or more and cooler air.

Diddyu

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLACQ
71 degrees tdp, which will read less than coretemp, as they use different sensors.
And have you tried not spreading the paste? I tried that twice, and both times, Ive gotten uneven temps, but using the line & squeeze method, Im ~3-8 degrees less, and all of the cores are all the same temp, as long as theyre all at the same usage.

OP
Th3 F4ll3n P1mp

Th3 F4ll3n P1mp

Disabled
Ill take some pics tomorrow for you guys, and I will also try the "line and squeeze" method...what confuses me is that I am on water cooling on a cpu only loop, and that at only 3.4 ghz im getting 75's.

Edit: WTF!? Core 0 at 72 and core 1 at 51?!

Sarsbaby

Disabled
Not this cpu. Im thinking about it though lol.

Just a suggestion. Before you do it, take a new straight edge razor to it like a level and see weather or not it's your cpu or water block/HSF that's either concave or convex, or maybe warped whith a mix of both.

I've never done this before but i'm just taking solid advice i've read from this forum. Seems logical.

OP
Th3 F4ll3n P1mp

Th3 F4ll3n P1mp

Disabled
Yeah, I was thinking about trying that. I dont think it could be my water block though, it looked perfectly flat, and was practically lapped already, I could see my reflection on it.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
Yeah, I was thinking about trying that. I dont think it could be my water block though, it looked perfectly flat, and was practically lapped already, I could see my reflection on it.
You don't lap to make it shiny, you lap to make it flat. Reflection gives no indication of how flat it is.

Big Mike

Senior Head of Import Performance
Are you running the thick o ring to "bow" the block, I assume you're using the Apogee GT from the h20-220 kit. I never see over about 60 fully loaded at 3.6ghz.

OP
Th3 F4ll3n P1mp

Th3 F4ll3n P1mp

Disabled
Yup. Btw, the block came pre-assembled with the o-ring, and all the parts on it. It had the copper part, the o-ring on it, and the shiny silver top part to hold it down onto the mobo. Could it be possible that the copper part was mounted the wrong way?

Big Mike

Senior Head of Import Performance
theres a picture on the instruction sheet, if you look down through the hose barbs you can ee the pins. There should be a straight line of pins in the same direction as the inlets, if the straight line of pins is going the other direction its wrong. The picture makes more sense than trying to explain it though...do you may want to check the sheet for the apogee.