• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

max size pelt for air cooled app ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skinart

A friend of mine has an AMD 1600+ with an slk800 heatsink and a 80mm smart fan II and he wants to put a peltier on this setup, he dosent do crazy overclocking just small fsb mods, what size pelt do you think he could use on this setup without running into heat problems?

Thanx in advance

Chad

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
with that heatsink you could not use a pelt, unless you soldered a new base on, then made a new clip, because a peltier is like 40mmx40mm or 50mmx50mmm and they would overlap a lot
if he could do all the above, im sure he could pop a 120 on there or so, bgmicro.com has cheap 80s

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
Air cooled pelt:
www.overclockers.com/tips882

I did that a while ago and scraped by with an 80w module.

Now Swiftech is cooling a 226 with almost the same HSF. No idea how they can do it. Go figure.

Wait. Did you mean size as in measurements or size as in power requirements?

FunkDaMonkMan

if your friend is just going to be doing small fsb mods then does he really need the pelt?

If he is not going to be doing a good amount of overclocking, its just going to hurt the chip to freeze it and let it thaw every time he turns it on and off.

OP
S

skinart

Donny i ment size as in watts and Funk he dosent do much o'cing at the moment but if the temp drop abled him to do more im sure he might want to oc more

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
skinart said:
Donny i ment size as in watts and Funk he dosent do much o'cing at the moment but if the temp drop abled him to do more im sure he might want to oc more

Ok, well then check out my article. Striking a balance between pelt wattage, CPU heat and HSF capacity is the critical component of implementing one of these systems. Otherwise you'll get a runaway reaction that will lead to a fried chip.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
donny_paycheck said:
Air cooled pelt:
www.overclockers.com/tips882

I did that a while ago and scraped by with an 80w module.

Now Swiftech is cooling a 226 with almost the same HSF. No idea how they can do it. Go figure.

Wait. Did you mean size as in measurements or size as in power requirements?

how did they do it? i know, i know!!! they made it so if your over 100 watts you will fry your cpu:p seriously, you can get better overclocks and temps without the pelt.... thats is if you get the better overclock with the temps, otherwize you got cold temps that do you nothing...

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
maskedgeek said:
how did they do it? i know, i know!!! they made it so if your over 100 watts you will fry your cpu:p seriously, you can get better overclocks and temps without the pelt.... thats is if you get the better overclock with the temps, otherwize you got cold temps that do you nothing...

That's exactly it. Water cooling won't give you temps as low but it'll keep the temps from rising over much higher heat levels.