• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maxing out my FSB... why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SpaceyWilly

I'm hoping you guys can help me in my search for the bottleneck of my computer. I used to be running on 384megs of low quality PC2100 RAM and I could only reach 147 or 150 for my FSB. That's with a 1700+ TBred, and a Biostar m7vip motherboard. Now a week or two ago I bought a nice 512 stick of Kingston HyperX pc2700 RAM, thinking that my RAM was stopping me from reaching any higher OC's. Low and behold, although the RAM supports much more aggresive timings, my comp still maxes out at 150...

So what I'd like to know is what's stopping me now? Right now I'm thinkin' it's the mobo, cuz it's a piece of crap. But that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me, because, as far as I know, the motherboard isn't under a lot of stress when OC'ing... surely not as much as the CPU or RAM... Right?

Anyway I'm seriously thinking of either getting a new mobo now, or CPU, or heck maybe both if I can't find an answer to my OC'ing problems.

TheNamelessOne

I'm not farmiliar with that mobo but if its crappy like you say, then I'd say that's your problem. What mobo you have makes a big difference on how high you can oc the FSB, because the northbridge and southbridge need to be able to handle the high fsb. This is why in reviews that compare two mobos with everything else the same, one mobo will get higher fsb than the other.

OP
SpaceyWilly

SpaceyWilly

thanks TNO

the chipset is KT333, not NForce...

God I wish I had an NForce...

And I believe it's TBredB, but I'm not positive. Pretty sure though.

deeppow

SpaceyWilly,

I'm not familar with your mobo but if it a standard KT33 mobo then 147 to 150 is very good. I say that because KT333 mobos normally run a 5/4 multiplier on the memory speed below a fsb of 166Mhz. That is why asj suggested you need to get your fsb up to or above 166. At 166 your memory speed multiplier changes to 4/4 and works in a sync mode. Sync timing is better than async.

However the problem in changing the KT333 fsb to 166 is that unless the cpu multiplier is unlocked (so you can reset it to a lower value), the cpu can't run at a fsb=166 by default. Lots of threads here on the forum discussing this subject. You can also find some very detailed discussion of the subject here.

OP
SpaceyWilly

SpaceyWilly

thanks for the link, but unfortunately (very, very unfortunately) my multiplier is not unlocked. Right now I am watching the newegg refurbs very closely for an nforce2 for $40. Some day they'll be one... there has to be.

OP
SpaceyWilly

SpaceyWilly

oh yeah, the bios doesn't allow to change voltage either.

Yeah, really.

I really wish I had bought another mobo.

At least it's blue. Sorta. I have seen bluer...

deeppow

Well till you unlock or get another mobo I think your stuck. But I never got above 144 on my KT333 so you've done very well considering your equipment limitaions! :cool:

sandman001

Just Freeze It
I'd go with teh soltek Nforce 3 motherboard, or th eEPox 8RDA, just because they are on teh cheaper side. I got my Epox 8RDA+ for 70.50 on the refurbs.