• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maxtor? Am I just unlucky?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TinMan

I have 2 maxtor drives in at the moment, one I am going to RMA because the BIOS has activated SMART warnings that is going to fail (and it fails to spin up every now and then) and the second is slowly becomming noisy with the same while high pitched noise, but after running a SMART explorer is says performance and reliability is under 50% (I think this is a problem)

First one is 15 months old form Comet and so its going to maxtor.

The second is from overclockers.co.uk and 6 months old, I am being told that because a drive has already been exchanged by me that this drive is faulty because of me and so they are not willing to do anything about it unless I can prove that it is faulty, noise and "Custom Software" does not count as that can mean anything (their own words), and if I send it back they will test it to see if it holds data and return it back to me with a handeling charge. :mad:
Will maxtor do anything about this fault if their powermax software cant see anything, will they do it on the fact that I can hear it over my clicking keyboard?

eliteoneXP

My 80GIG maxtor has just started to make a very high pitch noise as well. I hope this thing lasts till xmas cuz im gonna get a 120GIG WD 8MB drive.

OP
T

TinMan

The thing that bugs me most is the fact that the resellers that I got the 80gig drive off refuse to do anything unless its practicaly smoking.

Something about how SMART data can be minipulated, and it is for them to decide if its faulty or not.

but I would say that a basic smart ready stating <50% relaiability and performance and low data benchmarks on the drive is a problem, but since it holds data its my problem. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

(maybe too many smilies)

OP
T

TinMan

If the value stayed the same I would be happy, but every few weeks it drops a point, and its starting to get noisy.

Silver arrow

My 60gig maxtor started making a high-pitch whining noise after six months, I had it replaced.
My 40gig maxtor started making the same noise after 9 months and I'm having it replaced.
Oh well....

Ridenow

Sneaky Moderator
I will try not to start my normal Maxtor tirade...

Let me say I work for a company that maintains computers for a state agency. The brand of hard drives with the highest failure rate is Maxtor. From what I see their quality has been improving with the newer drives, but is still worse than the other brands.

heyou_21

Registered
Maxtor, is having problems, IBM is having problems, Fujistu has a class action filed against them. whats left.... Western Digital, so is there anything wrong with the WD drives?

Silver arrow

In the end it all depends on luck. All IBMs I've owned died, but I know some people that have an IBM disk for years w/ no probs. And the disk quality is changing... My old Fujitsu 4.3 still works, but my 40GB fujitsu died after 6 months.

EeyoreX

Registered
of all the hard drives I have ever purchased, maxtor have always been the best in my opinion. I have never had a problem with a Maxtor drive. I currently have an 80GB ATA100 drive, a 160GB ATA133 drive and a 60GB ATA133 drive. I also have a stack of smaller (8GB and less) maxtor drives that all still work that I keep for testing and occassional use.

Maybe it is just luck?

\Dan

ziah

WD drives have always failed for me. back in the day i had 3 850mb just die within 6 mos. changed brands and no more troubles with tiny drives.

~z

CraxySerge

I've been lucky with MAxtor drives. Had my 9 gigger for about 3 years now and it runs fine 24/7. And my D740X 60 Gigger has been running like a champ for about a year now 24/7. Maxtor fanboy here. I've had friends that had Juj****sus amd they failed so bad, and one buddy had lost all his reaserch data on his IBM drive. I've converted them both to Maxtors and they are happy so far.

eliteoneXP

I unplugged all fans and my other 40gig ibm hd and turned on the pc and found that my problem is 100% the maxtor drive. The noise is becoming unbrearable. I am also getting ntfs.sys BSODS on boot sometimes which makes it even more clear.