• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maxtor vs. Samsung

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prok

After dealing with Western Digital for over a year, I'm going to buy a new hard drive. I've gone through 5 RMA's, replaced the mobo, tested the ram and psu, but each and every time the drive (WD600BB) fails within a few days of being installed.

I have narrowed my selection down to a Maxtor 6Y080P0 - an 80gb 8mb cache 7200 rpm IDE drive and the Samsung SP1213N - a 120gb 8mb cache 7200 rpm IDE drive. The Maxtor is about 70 bucks, the Samsung about 90. I don't need the extra 40gb, so I'd like to save some cash, but I've heard less complaints about Samsung than Maxtor and reliability is more important than cost here. Does anyone have experience/knowledge with either of these drives/companies, or the manufacturers themselves? I have heard that the products companies are making fluctuate in reliability, and while one person has never had a problem with Maxtor the next has always had a problem.

My setup is an Abit KD-7, Athlon 2100xp, and 512mb Crucial Micron ram.

Bottom line: which will be more reliable? Samsung or Maxtor? I understand this may be a ridiculous question so thanks in advance for any replies.

ClarkKent

I no nothing about Samsung. But I have three Maxtor drives and have for quite some time. I've had no problems. I love them and when I go to buy another it will be Maxtor.

David

Forums Super Moderator
I have an SATA 120GB/8MB/7200rpm drive. The Spinpoint 1213C I think. Its been silent, fast and had no problems so far, but only had it a couple weeks.

Beavis

I've used 3 different Maxtors and they are all still working perfectly. They're less than a year old. That 80GB Maxtor is one of them. Don't know how long they'll last though.

dark_15

Drunken Master JNCIE Senior
I've had nothing but problems with maxtors... they tend to fail alot for me... I would go for Samsung and Seagate...

The maxtors in dell machines especially are always failing... I've had to RMA about 8 in less than a year. I had an 80 gig hard drive that failed too...

Like I said, stick with Samsung or Seagate... you can't go wrong!

OP
P

Prok

Does anyone have any idea as to why some hard drives work great for some while others don't? Has anyone used all different types and none have failed?

stan03

the maxtor in my dell lasted about three years, i got an RMA just a little while before the warentee expired :D. i have three maxtors in the computer in my sig, not problems yet. There is also a WD but i don't use it often so im not sure about that. Maxtor generally hasn't given me any problems.

chawks2

Have had my 1614N's from SamSung for about 8 months. 42KB/s - not great, but not awful, VERY quiet, NO complaints. Best part - 3y Warranty.

s[H]sIkuA

using maxtor 80gb 8mb myself,no prob for 1 and 1/2 years but the samsung is quite good now ,i dont know about all of its drive but the SATA 120 or 160 of Samsung is really silent and also very fast

Mark620

Prok said:
Does anyone have any idea as to why some hard drives work great for some while others don't? Has anyone used all different types and none have failed?

I have lost...Samsung, Fijitsu, IBM, Western Digital, Segate, Maxtor, Quantum, Conner(No longer in HD business)...to name a few

I believe that all hds die given enough time. None of them last as long as they say they will. Last time I checked the MTBF ratings the rating were like 27 years. NOT LIKELY to last that long. I give it a zero percent chance.

Be sure to turn your HD off...when no activity....