• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

maybe something to think about?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
i will need to go back and run the benchmarks again with screen grabs of temp/TDP. what i think is interesting people might have already have know? NV spec TDP/Stock clock is no the same as what the card runs. I just threw in the EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra, no stock speed listed on their site but Boost speed of 1770mhz. Techpower up reports stock 1500mhz boost 1725mhz. https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-3070.c3674
when i first ran superposition bench MSI AB showed it would be pulling up to 240watts for short periods. it was always around 230 watts, the Boost speed showing was just under 2ghz, some times as low as 1870mhz. temps were in check around 72c with fans only hitting 80% speed. i figured why not lets see what happens right? use the MSI AB power curve, find the point where it hits 1.8ghz. Set that point to the rest of the graph, so there is still the step up points from low to 1.8ghz. the board power never gets over 200watts, mostly sits around 190watts just limiting the gpu clock speed. FPS in superposition bench was not effected much ,think it lost 1 or 2 frames on the minimums. it lowered the the score by about 300 points vs other evga 3070's listed. not sure why when you search to compare on their site it lists by brand? is this what people have been talking bout basically limiting power and keep the same performance? i kinda got the impression some where just limiting % of power in msi ab vs just limiting core clock. To go from 100% do what you want board settings using around 230watts and about 2ghz gpu speed. to just limiting gpu speed to 1.8ghz, with no power limit in msi AB under 200watts i like! does this actually mean then, that the 3060TI is pulling maybe 220watts to get close to the 3070 numbers?

really wish i had boards to test this out. would this be a new way to test GPU power efficiency? Limit either board power to a set wattage or do it by gpu speed till it hits target TDP(i assume this is total card power draw)

what i think is interesting people might have already have know? NV spec TDP/Stock clock is no the same as what the card runs. I just threw in the EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra, no stock speed listed on their site but Boost speed of 1770mhz. Techpower up reports stock 1500mhz boost 1725mhz.
For a few generations now, NV lists the boost clock as the minimum (when it's not throttling for w/e reason). So if there is power limit and temperature headroom, the cards will boost to and typically well past their factory boost rating.

when i first ran superposition bench MSI AB showed it would be pulling up to 240watts for short periods. it was always around 230 watts, the Boost speed showing was just under 2ghz, some times as low as 1870mhz. temps were in check around 72c with fans only hitting 80% speed. i figured why not lets see what happens right? use the MSI AB power curve, find the point where it hits 1.8ghz. Set that point to the rest of the graph, so there is still the step up points from low to 1.8ghz. the board power never gets over 200watts, mostly sits around 190watts just limiting the gpu clock speed. FPS in
Seems normal. If you look at the clock/vf curve, I'd imagine it uses less voltage at 1.8 GHz than it does at 2 GHz. Less voltage = less power. Power doesn't increase much with clock speed increases, just voltage. Try it out on your CPU. GLeave the voltage fixed and lower the clocks by 100/200/300 MHz... the power doesn't change nearly as much when you adjust voltage.

is this what people have been talking bout basically limiting power and keep the same performance? i kinda got the impression some where just limiting % of power in msi ab vs just limiting core clock
It's what I've been talking about with these powerful GPUs, yes. It doesn't need the TBP (Total Board Power) to sustain clocks/performance. For the games I play, I put a FPS limit on and it does the same thing... since the GPU only needs XXXW to reach/maintain those speeds, that's all it uses. That said, someone else with different games or plays at a higher resolution may need it all... so it just depends.

does this actually mean then, that the 3060TI is pulling maybe 220watts to get close to the 3070 numbers?
Isn't that always how it worked? Raise voltage, raise clocks, raise power use, increase performance. How much exactly a lower tier card needs to reach higher, varies for multiple reasons.

yea ED the only thing i did to see sub 200watts TDP was the 1.8ghz limit and used the voltage in the curve it would need to do it. it is confusing then when you look at specs and TDP ratings. that then brings me to question how are the specs tested, IE texture and pixel fill rates? is it at the stock gpu speed or is it when they just let the card run loose.

if those models ie 3060Ti stuck to its max boost per NV then it would not be able to get that close to a 3070. it seems it only is because of like you said, we got head room on temp and we can pull more power. i run 1080P, i also have a 144hz monitor, alot game i can now play maxxed out. thats what im looking for high Fps with my games Maxxed out.

think i may new a psu, for the card. i think the OCP is really low or the spikes are that high for the Seasonic ss-620GM. i figured i would be fine, gpu runs long periods of time in heaven benchmark all maxxed out. do have the clock set to 1.8ghz vs it maxing out. i got DarkTide and started playing it after about 10-20 minutes depends. computer just freezes some times error with windows pops up or screens just go blank. which is why i am thinking psu as even if the windows screen pops up. reset button or power button do not work, have to power off at the psu. Since Newegg has a deal on a Corsair RMx850, think im going to snag it.

*edit*
well nvm i can get it sooner with amazon, but i still question some PC parts off amazon.

Sounds about right, @stock mine pulls the full 250w ~1.081v and tops out at 1950mhz, got her down to 1800mhz 0.850v 150w-200w and 1950mhz 1v 200w-240w (stock PCB with bad caps, definitely not a good overclocker, so undervolting is a blessing for temps), but even at 1800mhz it's technically already mildly overclocked (y)

Yo E, lemme know if you're still looking for a PSU. I've got an EVGA 850 GA I wanna off-load. Handled my 1080Ti and 3080 like a champ!

Sounds about right, @stock mine pulls the full 250w ~1.081v and tops out at 1950mhz, got her down to 1800mhz 0.850v 150w-200w and 1950mhz 1v 200w-240w (stock PCB with bad caps, definitely not a good overclocker, so undervolting is a blessing for temps), but even at 1800mhz it's technically already mildly overclocked (y)
Yea i can not recall when i got this Seasonic psu, it doesnt feel that long ago. Even with the GPU clock set at 1.8ghz and wattage being under 200w, the psu fan was screaming. i could recap the psu and sell it or reuse in the same rig with a different GPU.

Yo E, lemme know if you're still looking for a PSU. I've got an EVGA 850 GA I wanna off-load. Handled my 1080Ti and 3080 like a champ!
hehehe, my BF corsair RMx 850 got here today. next up is my 2tb P41 m.2 drive, i still need to put my 11th gen pc together. sad really, i use to be all bout puting my pc's together, parts have been sitting since December last year. :c

Back