• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maytag 5,000 btu AC unit. What to do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big_Baller

Ok I have had this Maytag m3x05f2a 5,000 btu AC cooler in my small room for awhile now. My family is installing central air as we speak. What can I do with the AC unit? In the past I have done some subzero cooling and now it calls for me to do it again. Can I use this AC unit to get some water to neg C degrees? What can and should I do?

matttheniceguy

making that AC into a chiller is probably what I would do. Depending on the gas and some other things you can get your water well into the negative. Many people have coolent temps of -20 or so, some even lower.

there are a few chiller projects on these forums, and an entire chiller section over at http://xtremesystems.org/

OP
Big_Baller

Big_Baller

Is it going to be the same idea as my last mini fridge chiller? Put the evaporator element into the liquid. House the whole thing in somthing like an ice chest. Oh gosh here I go again... :D

matttheniceguy

yea, something like that.

The evap will be a lot bigger than the one for a mini fridge, probably something like 15"x12" or so for that unit. Just get or make a cooler to put the evap in. You will have to mod the ac unit a bit too. Remove the fan from the evap, and remove the thermostat, probably bend the pipes a little. I wold suggest that you duct the hot air coming from the condensor outside as well, or it might get a little toasty in your room.

kayl

just be exta careful bending the coper pipes, taking care at brazed poiont and also where it enters the evap is also a weak point

OP
Big_Baller

Big_Baller

You mean just do it slowly and don't throw it around? Should I try to warm the pipes before moving them?

kayl

a pipe bender would be best and heat pipes not a good iea as you will burn your hands trying to bend it and no real need to do this anyways
just do it slowly and no really tight angles.
you will anderstand what i mean when you start trying to bend it